The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
hardride1955 (59), 91Sportster (52), PSEBYL (51), Aussiegirl (44), FastMag (43)
Biltwell
Foxcreek Leather
Lowbrow Customs
Get Lowered

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th April 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 03
marktm200 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default newb carb help

Hello everyone, so i bought my first sportster its a 03 1200 the other day the previous owner hasnt ridden it over the last 2 years. i bought it off him knowing it would only run on half choke and that the carb would need to be cleaned. I took the carb apart like i have done before to japanese bikes and cleaned the ports and replaced the intake gaskets as a friend recomended i do at the same time. It ran much better but not great. It has a 180main and 45pilot jet with vance and hines pipes and screaming eagle air cleaner. My problem is it seem so be running lean "popping" on deceleration hesitating every once and a while and the carb farts a lot. I have the air screw out 3 and 1/2 half turns and stopped. when i cleaned it i noticed there was not a spring on the air screw i plan on ordering a cvp spring kit but could this be my problem? should i go up to a 48 pilot it seem like alot thanks for you help
Old 16th April 2012
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
PiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud of

check for intake leaks? Diaphragm look ok? I dunno, order a new 42mm mikuni and breath some life into that thing.
Old 16th April 2012
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
PiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud of

that spring can stick up in there, btw, did you actually take the carb off and get a good look in there?

Last edited by PiousDevil; 16th April 2012 at 00:33.. Reason: spring, not screw. spring!
Old 16th April 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
cowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of lightcowboy770 is a glorious beacon of light

First welcome to the forum. The 45 should be fine. I would change the main to a 175. That's what I would try
04 1200R N4 cams, custom A/C , stage 1 P&P, porker switchblades, Tc88a with Ricos Hooligan map, 185 main, 48 slow, and custom 5.2 gal tank. 3-1/2in extended forward controls, Enough about me, tell me about you.
Old 16th April 2012
Biker

thanks everyone, I took the carb off of the bike twice now. the previous owner said it ran good with the 180 main and 45 pilot. I sprayed wd40 over the intake/head area and it did not change rpm to i dont think its the intake and the diaphram looked ok to me. I was on the cvp website and i was thinking about ordering one of there deluxe tuners kits and start over with there recomended jet sizes, are they any good? Also i took the plugs out of it and they were really gray they looked like they had been in there for some time could it have been like this for a while now? any ideas appreciated
Know Thy Hog

Old 16th April 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

semjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to all

Air screw needs a spring and an o-ring.

SEMJPM
Old 16th April 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell S1
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S2T
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1996
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
maru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud ofmaru has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by semjpm View Post
Air screw needs a spring and an o-ring.

SEMJPM
plus 1
Old 16th April 2012
Biker

I just ordered a cvp kit with the replacement o ring and spring i'll have to see what it does when it comes in