The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006) This area is to discuss issues, problems and anything else unique to the 2004 and above Sportster motorcycles

Members Birthdays
ziggyhd1 (56), greven (54)
Energy One Clutches
RYCA Motors
883 Sportster
BIKE BUILDER

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th April 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha FZ1
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
raq1025 is a jewel in the roughraq1025 is a jewel in the roughraq1025 is a jewel in the roughraq1025 is a jewel in the roughraq1025 is a jewel in the roughraq1025 is a jewel in the roughraq1025 is a jewel in the roughraq1025 is a jewel in the roughraq1025 is a jewel in the roughraq1025 is a jewel in the roughraq1025 is a jewel in the rough
Default Petcock / Fuel Reserve Question

Ok, this is my first bike with a petcock. My previous cruiser was a fuelly & my FZ1 has a gauge. Riding back from my ride to day, I let it run down until it hit reserve (170 miles). (Of course, then I turned off the petcock instead of switching it to reserve & had to coast to the shoulder, but I'll chalk that up to a "Rookie Mistake", lol.)
While running on reserve, the bike seemed kind of sputtery, like it was on bad gas.
So here's the question: how does the reserve work on these bikes? With the petcock in normal position, is the fuel in the reserve left there while the fresh gas is in the rest of the tank? I've only had the bike about a month. I'm now concerned that I've unwittingly run degraded fuel through the carb.
Should I be turning the petcock to reserve when I refuel? When I fiiled up this time I left the petcock in reserve until the tank was filled, then turned it to normal. so I replenished the reserve.

Non Illigitimi Carborundum Est
2005 Yamaha FZ1
2005 Harley Davidson XL1200C
Old 16th April 2012
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N (Sold)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2014
motorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud of

I was always under the impression that its all the same tank but you have two straws so to say sticking up, one taller than the other. When the tall one starts sucking air then we switch to the shorter one. When that one starts sucking air then we are stranded. That's the way it always worked in my mind anyway.
Old 16th April 2012
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N (Sold)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2014
motorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud of

But being this is the first time you've done this, then maybe the bike was sitting for a while and when you switched to reserve you just got some gunky gas left at the bottom of the tank. After a couple of fillups I'm sure it should be fine.
Old 16th April 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlx61
Sportster/Buell Year: 85
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xl1200r
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 05
Other Motorcycle Model: yamaha vstar 650 custom
Other Motorcycle Year: 00
mycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to allmycle1000 is a name known to all

refill before hitting reserve to stay away from any bad gas you might be carrying.
Old 16th April 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
SpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond repute

If you have any bad gas it will be diluted when you refill. All in the same Tank, no seperate reservoir for fuel. It is like two straws with 1 higher than the other. If you are concerned with bad gas, pull the petcock and drain the tank. Then you'll know for sure.

"If you're looking for sympathy, you can find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis."

Old Bubba of the Booze Junkies MC
Know Thy Hog

Old 16th April 2012
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLC
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GS 750 L
Other Motorcycle Year: 81
thatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud of

This should help explain...

Old 16th April 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
SpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent!
Old 16th April 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha FZ1
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
raq1025 is a jewel in the roughraq1025 is a jewel in the roughraq1025 is a jewel in the roughraq1025 is a jewel in the roughraq1025 is a jewel in the roughraq1025 is a jewel in the roughraq1025 is a jewel in the roughraq1025 is a jewel in the roughraq1025 is a jewel in the roughraq1025 is a jewel in the roughraq1025 is a jewel in the rough

Excellent! Thanks for the replies. I just needed to know how far I can get on the main portion of the tank. This is the first time I let it go that far. It wasn't my first fill up, so I should be good.
I don't think the bike sat for a long period of time, because it wasn't on the dealer's (used) lot for long. But, you can never tell what the previous owner did. Judging from the overall condition, I think I'm good.
It just made me wonder if I had made a mistake by letting go that low. I'll run some SeaFoam through it just in case.

Wow, that illustration says it all. kewl!

Q
Old 16th April 2012
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
BillieB will become famous soon enoughBillieB will become famous soon enoughBillieB will become famous soon enoughBillieB will become famous soon enoughBillieB will become famous soon enoughBillieB will become famous soon enoughBillieB will become famous soon enoughBillieB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorend View Post
I was always under the impression that its all the same tank but you have two straws so to say sticking up, one taller than the other. When the tall one starts sucking air then we switch to the shorter one. When that one starts sucking air then we are stranded. That's the way it always worked in my mind anyway.
You are right !!!!!