The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum GL Sporster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
hawkeye (66), Rigpa (46), petersca (35)
883 Sportster
Lowbrow Customs
Motor Stage
Lowbrow Customs

Licks Cycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th April 2012
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
LuckyThirteen08 is a glorious beacon of lightLuckyThirteen08 is a glorious beacon of lightLuckyThirteen08 is a glorious beacon of lightLuckyThirteen08 is a glorious beacon of lightLuckyThirteen08 is a glorious beacon of lightLuckyThirteen08 is a glorious beacon of lightLuckyThirteen08 is a glorious beacon of lightLuckyThirteen08 is a glorious beacon of lightLuckyThirteen08 is a glorious beacon of lightLuckyThirteen08 is a glorious beacon of lightLuckyThirteen08 is a glorious beacon of light
Default What would be the fiar market value for a 91 hardtail frame

The title pretty much says it all but here is a little insight to my question none the less. I have a 1991 harley davidson OEM swingarm frame that has been converted to a hardtail/rigid frame(whichever your prefer to call it).The frame is up for sale and has the original title with matching #`s to the frame.Im curious as to what a fair price would be for this frame and title.I see OEM hd frames on ebay for around 375 dollars plus 150 or more shipping,without titles or any conversion work.What would be a fair price for a rigid mount frame and title?If you dont know a fair sale price,what would you be willing to pay to buy it? Lets assume this will be a face to face transaction with no shipping cost.

Thanks for any input.
Old 16th April 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
in the wind is a splendid one to beholdin the wind is a splendid one to beholdin the wind is a splendid one to beholdin the wind is a splendid one to beholdin the wind is a splendid one to beholdin the wind is a splendid one to beholdin the wind is a splendid one to beholdin the wind is a splendid one to beholdin the wind is a splendid one to beholdin the wind is a splendid one to beholdin the wind is a splendid one to behold

there is no correct answer- realizing that no harley dealer or any dealer for that matter will ever take it in on trade w/ the modified/welded frame...unable to guarantee it down the road....also the ride is less than desireable for most--...there is however value to the right person,as long as the welds are done properly and everything is true and straight--and the other plus is you have the title-not sure how titling goes w/ the frame one number and the engine a different number,or if there will be issues getting inspected-some states clearly state no changes to suspension(which includes removing it)--- i would ask what you feel it is worth or what you would like to get and go from there
my KANSAS KUSTOM HARDTAIL build thread--- http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=822273
Old 16th April 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

I think "in the wind" is correct. Title with matching numbers? What does the number on the frame match too if your not also selling the engine?

You just need to find someone who is looking for a hardtail frame. If the frame was done right it might be worth some money to the right person.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Old 16th April 2012
Senior Chief Know It All

LuckyThirteen08 is a glorious beacon of lightLuckyThirteen08 is a glorious beacon of lightLuckyThirteen08 is a glorious beacon of lightLuckyThirteen08 is a glorious beacon of lightLuckyThirteen08 is a glorious beacon of lightLuckyThirteen08 is a glorious beacon of lightLuckyThirteen08 is a glorious beacon of lightLuckyThirteen08 is a glorious beacon of lightLuckyThirteen08 is a glorious beacon of lightLuckyThirteen08 is a glorious beacon of lightLuckyThirteen08 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharback View Post
I think "in the wind" is correct. Title with matching numbers? What does the number on the frame match too if your not also selling the engine?

You just need to find someone who is looking for a hardtail frame. If the frame was done right it might be worth some money to the right person.
The Numbers on the frame neck match the VIN on the title.I know that in most states if the frame VIN and the title VIN match you can get a title without applying for a custom build or salvage title.
Old 16th April 2012
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL project
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1982
Other Motorcycle Model: XL project
Other Motorcycle Year: 1977
Flame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen people asking a lot of money for a titled frame. I have seen people SELL them in the $500 range.

Gamertag, Xbox Live: Bikerdude Dref
Know Thy Hog

Old 16th April 2012
Senior Chief Know It All

I think im just going to put it on ebay with a phenomenally high reserve price and see what the bid gets up to.Get an idea before i take it to the swap meet.
Old 16th April 2012
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL project
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1982
Other Motorcycle Model: XL project
Other Motorcycle Year: 1977
Flame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond reputeFlame__ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyThirteen08 View Post
I think im just going to put it on ebay with a phenomenally high reserve price and see what the bid gets up to.Get an idea before i take it to the swap meet.
LOL! You're getting rep for that, even if you don't do it!
Old 16th April 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
in the wind is a splendid one to beholdin the wind is a splendid one to beholdin the wind is a splendid one to beholdin the wind is a splendid one to beholdin the wind is a splendid one to beholdin the wind is a splendid one to beholdin the wind is a splendid one to beholdin the wind is a splendid one to beholdin the wind is a splendid one to beholdin the wind is a splendid one to beholdin the wind is a splendid one to behold

where is the swap meet ?
not sure what you are into it for-- i would try to add some accessories to sweeten the deal at swap meet--maybe somewhat of a roller w/ some handlebar--possibly a tank.
cash/trade for something you want at the swap meet is the best way to go...or craigslist.
--- maybe even post it here in the wtb,wts,solidmount thread--maybe someone has the rest of it but does not want to alter their stock frame.......
any pics-description ?

Last edited by in the wind; 16th April 2012 at 20:53..
Old 16th April 2012
Senior Chief Know It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the wind View Post
where is the swap meet ?
not sure what you are into it for-- i would try to add some accessories to sweeten the deal at swap meet--maybe somewhat of a roller w/ some handlebar--possibly a tank.
cash/trade for something you want at the swap meet is the best way to go...or craigslist.
--- maybe even post it here in the wtb,wts,solidmount thread--maybe someone has the rest of it but does not want to alter their stock frame.......
any pics-description ?
The swap meet is in Abingdon VA on april 22nd at the old Banner Tobacco Warehouse. The good thing about it being passed 1970 is that harley stopped titling the engine and started titling the frames.I guess that kinda explains the chopper scene explosion in the 70s. I originally purchased the frame for this bike because i didnt want to alter the numbers on a matching 21 yr old harley but have since lost interest in a hardtail conversion and have also traded my 93 evo engine as boot for a truck.So basically im stuck with a chassis thats now just taking up space. I do plan on either selling it or trading it off to something else but im trying to find out what value it may have so i dont screw the pooch when i get rid of it.

EDIT: i do have a stock tank and a set of narrow glide triple trees,with stock risers and buckhorns that came off the 91 pictured above.Thats a pretty good idea.