The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Nightrider, jim wiseman (63), gone2dalake (61), bobzimm (58), JMan (47), csaintg (45), tinydawg (43), B.Curvin (43), eskiv (34), 05bluesportster (33), joka646 (30)
DK Customs
S&S Cycle
Motor Stage
Progressive Suspension

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th April 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to all

try upping your 28 to a 295 jet with your drag pipes.
Old 17th April 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
Other Motorcycle Model: 2000 DRZ 400 Dirt Model
ironheadmax is just really niceironheadmax is just really niceironheadmax is just really niceironheadmax is just really niceironheadmax is just really niceironheadmax is just really niceironheadmax is just really niceironheadmax is just really niceironheadmax is just really niceironheadmax is just really niceironheadmax is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah man View Post
try upping your 28 to a 295 jet with your drag pipes.
should I leave the 68 main as well or bump it up to 70?
Old 17th April 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 sporty
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 05
Other Motorcycle Model: Flh shovelhead
Other Motorcycle Year: 1980
throttlejunky is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it poping out the carb or exaust. does it do this at all rpm's or certian spots. What are your points set at. have you checked the plugs and seen if it was running rich or lean, could be alot of things but missing and backfiring are usualy an easy fix, just something youve over looked.
Old 17th April 2012

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to alldoodah man is a name known to all

i think the 68 will continue to work fine. that's what i'm running 295/68. when i got my bike it already had the s&s super e with 28/66. my plugs were very white, and it sneezed and popped into the carb when running no matter which way i adjusted it. moved up to these jets as per advice here and no more lean running. added lollipops and got rid of my mid range drag pipe stumble too, just in case that's been plaguing you.
Old 17th April 2012

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 75 motor in Norton frame.
Other Motorcycle Model: 42WLA 45, Harton, Narley
Other Motorcycle Year: 1942
Hopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironheadmax View Post
The tank just came out of the package and I painted it...brand new high test gas...I was thinking the screen on the pingel should be sufficient but it really acted like dirty fuel yesterday when I rode it... it would "sputter" for awhile and then fix itself and run good...The only explanation I could think of is fuel contaminants ...
They usually say you should put tank sealer in new tanks. They often come with rust and welding scale inside them. Check the screen on the pingel and see what it looks like.

yes I would get copper core plug wires. They have always worked better with points for me, so it would be one variable gone out of the equation.

I have had a bad coil act for all the world like gas starvation before. Worth a check.

And +1 on check gas cap is venting right. Some lids are non vented, others vented. Must match the tank type.