The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Licks Tanklift  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
ziggyhd1 (56), greven (54)
Figure Machine
Lowbrow Customs
Get Lowered
Figure Machine

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th April 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1000cc Ironhead Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: 96 KDX200 Dirt Bike
russzx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to all

Is that some sort of fine metal filing i can see over on top of the black bracket in your video?
Old 17th April 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 75 motor in Norton frame.
Other Motorcycle Model: 42WLA 45, Harton, Narley
Other Motorcycle Year: 1942
Hopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to behold

So thats what life looks like if you are a rear cylinder on an Ironhead.
Sounds chain/sprocket related to me.
Old 17th April 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1974 Sortster
mikepeetz is just really nicemikepeetz is just really nicemikepeetz is just really nicemikepeetz is just really nicemikepeetz is just really nicemikepeetz is just really nicemikepeetz is just really nicemikepeetz is just really nicemikepeetz is just really nicemikepeetz is just really nicemikepeetz is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber58 View Post
Sounds to me like your chain is either rubbing on the hardtail crossmember or rubbing your rear fender. You don't have a cain tensioner do you? If you do it could have a bad bearing in it. If you dont the chain cam definately be dragging across the frame.
Ya i am running this chain tensioner... Is that what a bad bearing sounds like?
Old 17th April 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 75 motor in Norton frame.
Other Motorcycle Model: 42WLA 45, Harton, Narley
Other Motorcycle Year: 1942
Hopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepeetz View Post
Ya i am running this chain tensioner... Is that what a bad bearing sounds like?
Lift the chain off the tensioner and spin the roller. It should spin free and without noise and without any notchiness. if you can feel any notchiness when you turn the roller, the bearing is toast. But that still might not be your noise.
Old 17th April 2012
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200 .030
Sportster/Buell Year: 1987
shaymus is a glorious beacon of lightshaymus is a glorious beacon of lightshaymus is a glorious beacon of lightshaymus is a glorious beacon of lightshaymus is a glorious beacon of lightshaymus is a glorious beacon of lightshaymus is a glorious beacon of lightshaymus is a glorious beacon of lightshaymus is a glorious beacon of lightshaymus is a glorious beacon of lightshaymus is a glorious beacon of light

I just fixed a similar noise and it was the chain rubbing the inside of the sprocket cover.
Know Thy Hog

Old 17th April 2012
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: sold
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1997 1200 sporty
big andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to allbig andy is a name known to all

+1 on what hopper said
Old 17th April 2012
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh convert to xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
DirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to beholdDirtyCory is a splendid one to behold

thats deffenitly a bad rod bearing.... you better tear the whole motor down!
Old 17th April 2012
Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
randy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to all

seems to occur when the rear wheel is turning, I'd get it off the ground and spin the rear wheel without the engine running, should be able to isolate where the sound is coming from easier.
Old 17th April 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1974 Sortster
mikepeetz is just really nicemikepeetz is just really nicemikepeetz is just really nicemikepeetz is just really nicemikepeetz is just really nicemikepeetz is just really nicemikepeetz is just really nicemikepeetz is just really nicemikepeetz is just really nicemikepeetz is just really nicemikepeetz is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy3934 View Post
seems to occur when the rear wheel is turning, I'd get it off the ground and spin the rear wheel without the engine running, should be able to isolate where the sound is coming from easier.
I tried that but i could not get a sound like that.or anything even close...
Old 17th April 2012
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: FLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 61
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH Kit Bike
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 60
scottfisher is a glorious beacon of lightscottfisher is a glorious beacon of lightscottfisher is a glorious beacon of lightscottfisher is a glorious beacon of lightscottfisher is a glorious beacon of lightscottfisher is a glorious beacon of lightscottfisher is a glorious beacon of lightscottfisher is a glorious beacon of lightscottfisher is a glorious beacon of lightscottfisher is a glorious beacon of lightscottfisher is a glorious beacon of light

do you have a bolt in this location that the chain is catching on:

it may only catch when you are under load. I have to grind some clearance off a regular grade 8 bolt not the hex head pictured which is obviously sticking out too far but this is what was used when the bottom end was rebuilt for me and if I wasn't paying attention I might have assumed would just fit in and not switched out.
See No Evo, Hear No Evo, Speak No Evo, Ride No Evo
Know Thy Hog