The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum NRHS PERFORMANCE 1  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Lubrication and Lubricants
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Lubrication and Lubricants You guessed. Here is where everyone can argue over oil.

Members Birthdays
Lowbrow Customs
Energy One Clutches
Lickscycles
Biltwell

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th April 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 86
SoFLJoe is a jewel in the roughSoFLJoe is a jewel in the roughSoFLJoe is a jewel in the roughSoFLJoe is a jewel in the roughSoFLJoe is a jewel in the roughSoFLJoe is a jewel in the roughSoFLJoe is a jewel in the roughSoFLJoe is a jewel in the roughSoFLJoe is a jewel in the roughSoFLJoe is a jewel in the roughSoFLJoe is a jewel in the rough
Default oil hose kink?

I changed the oil on my 86 sportster today and when I was looking at the oil line from the bottom of the oil tank, it appears kinked. I played with the hose some, and from the service manual it appears to be routed correctly. Maybe its just the way it bends, but I was wondering if someone might have a closeup pic of this. I have attached how mine looks.

EDIT: After pulling the two hoses off the oil pump and seeing a slow steady drip like when the oil is almost done draining from one hose and a few second drain on the other hose then that hose stopped, I am going to play it safe and replace the hose from the oil tank to the oil pump. Does anyone know the size of the hose so I can pick one up before I remove the old hose? Thanks!

Last edited by SoFLJoe; 16th April 2012 at 00:20.. Reason: add new information
Old 18th April 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
urshurak776 is an unknown quantity at this point

If your replacing it just take it to an auto parts store or a dealer/Indy. Just make sure the new hose is certified for oil applications.
Old 18th April 2012
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLC
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GS 750 L
Other Motorcycle Year: 81
thatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud ofthatbikerguy has much to be proud of

Looks like an elbow. Not kinked, made that way...
Old 18th April 2012
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1987
kd460 has disabled reputation

It's not an elbow. It is a kink. It uses 3/8ths hose. Pick up 3 feet of good quality hose that can handle oil and temperature. 3 feet will give you a little extra.

Looking at my 87, if you mean "feed" being the hose nipple on the bottom of the oil tank, that hose goes from the oil tank nipple (the one on the very bottom), and routes UNDER the starter.

It then makes a soft bend down towards the ground in the area between the starter and the rear cylinder exhaust pushrod tube, (also that is the area where the seam is for the sprocket cover and the cam cover where they meet). The hose can be slipped behind these covers (at the junction of the two covers) without removing the covers.

The hose then drops down to follow along the frame (look from underneath the bike) and over to the oil pump.

If you feed the hose starting at the oil pump, and then going along the frame tube, then up to the starter at the area described (behind the covers mentioned earlier), you should be able to feed that hose under the starter to the oil tank without having to remove the starter or any covers..

Hope that description helps. It was a mouth full. KD
Old 18th April 2012
Biker

SoFLJoe is a jewel in the roughSoFLJoe is a jewel in the roughSoFLJoe is a jewel in the roughSoFLJoe is a jewel in the roughSoFLJoe is a jewel in the roughSoFLJoe is a jewel in the roughSoFLJoe is a jewel in the roughSoFLJoe is a jewel in the roughSoFLJoe is a jewel in the roughSoFLJoe is a jewel in the roughSoFLJoe is a jewel in the rough

KD460, Thank you, that explains it pretty much perfectly.
Know Thy Hog

Old 18th April 2012
Master Mechanic

Good deal, glad to help
Old 19th April 2012
Biker

Got the hose replaced today. Only took about 45 minutes, most of the time was spent making sure the new hose wasn't kinked. Thanks again for the info.
Old 19th April 2012
Master Mechanic

Ride on!