The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006) This area is to discuss issues, problems and anything else unique to the 2004 and above Sportster motorcycles

Members Birthdays
motobraz, dwr302, xlchjoe (60), rider31 (54), Viper (42), KJcrownRRdriver (42), krafty (38), EezyE (37), SmokeyXL (34)
S&S Cycle
Biltwell
Energy One Clutches
DK Customs

Fix My Hog

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd May 2012
Whitworth Products

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCDevilDogg View Post
Thanx for all the input. I've decided to go with pipes first then I'll grab an intake. ( Any recommendations) After performance I'll change the handlebars with some type of Z bars or apes. I love the bobber look put since I live on military base, my bike needs speedo and turn signals which sucks.
Nothing wrong with signals and speedo on a bobber. A bobber is all about cutting off anything that you don't like and will save some weight, but not sacraficing something that is necessary.

If you are into performance and it sounds like you are, then don't get tall apes or tall Z bars. 6" Z's will work and you can keep the original cables, brake lines, etc. I looked for Z bars for a couple of months, and ended up getting some from sportster specialty here on this site as a supporting vendor.

I'm still bummed that I can't see the links for vendors now that I spent the money to join the forun officially. I guess some folks think that's a problem, but I liked having them on the side to click on when looking for ideas, etc. As a new member you can still see the vendors, so look at what they have, there are some good things available from them. I need to modify the Z's I got, but I knew that to begin with. I'm going to add knurls and widen the center tube at the same time so that I can see both my tach and speedo.

Whitworth Fork Brace: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/m...outme&simple=1

Old 5th May 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Xl1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Van/TX is on a distinguished roadVan/TX is on a distinguished roadVan/TX is on a distinguished roadVan/TX is on a distinguished road

No reason to increase performance without first upgrading/tweaking suspension. Stock suspension is adequate but not great IMO. My bike is stock and I like it but the first money I would spend would be suspension. Good luck.
Old 5th May 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
FiremanTx is an unknown quantity at this point

Be patient, most stuff can be found/built/traded without having to buy outright. In the end you'll feel a lot better about the stuff you fabbed up by hand rather than spending twice as much retail for the same thing. And like others have said, save a little longer for something you really want rather than buying something you kind of like. And +1 on NRHS, they make top quality parts. I'm pretty sure you could build a complete sportster just using xlforum, it has nearly everything.
Old 5th May 2012
HeWhoMakesThunder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh883/1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
norseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant future

I am a firm believer of F. Porche┤s famous words: Form fulgt Funktion (form follows function) So my advice is never add or do something for the look itself but do it for a purpose and the look will come and be right, that┤s the reason why race bikes look so awesome.

Sir Harry R. Ricardo
Old 5th May 2012
Quadcam girlybike racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL "NHRS 1250" R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda vf750c
Other Motorcycle Year: 1995
sep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of light

Just think about what's most important for you.
It's your bike and it's only function is to make *you* happy.

When I bought my bike the plan was to change the looks first.
After riding it for a while I decided otherwise.
Right now it still looks about the same but has at least twice the hp

Old 5th May 2012
HeWhoMakesThunder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh883/1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
norseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant future

Quote:
It's your bike and it's only function is to make *you* happy.

Good one!
Old 5th May 2012
Quadcam girlybike racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL "NHRS 1250" R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda vf750c
Other Motorcycle Year: 1995
sep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of lightsep69 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseXL View Post
I am a firm believer of F. Porche┤s famous words: Form fulgt Funktion (form follows function) So my advice is never add or do something for the look itself but do it for a purpose and the look will come and be right, that┤s the reason why race bikes look so awesome.
I also very much agree on the the Form fulgt Funktion one
Making the bike 'work' better always seems to improve the look.
Old 5th May 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
SpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond repute

I've always been partial to sleepers...plain Jane looking but totally kicks your Ass when you throttle up! I would get it running well first then work on your looks.

"If you're looking for sympathy, you can find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis."

Old Bubba of the Booze Junkies MC