The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum GL Sportster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Wardog (65), ZeD (62), JamieSporty95 (42), JStrong (37), llsmketr, Phelan (29)
Energy One Clutches
S&S Cycle
Fix My Hog
BIKE BUILDER

NRHS Performance Long 2

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th May 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX
Sportster/Buell Year: 1985
bfgoodmudder will become famous soon enoughbfgoodmudder will become famous soon enoughbfgoodmudder will become famous soon enoughbfgoodmudder will become famous soon enoughbfgoodmudder will become famous soon enoughbfgoodmudder will become famous soon enough
Default Another Iron - The mosquito bike

Just bought my third ironhead. My buddy affectionately named it the mosquito bike because it leaves a fairly constant trail of whit smoke wherever I go. No mosquitos on me or anyone a mile behind me. It smokes pretty bad. Cruised to a shop called truitt & osborne over here in Wichita KS. Seem to be good guys to know. They basically said a valve job would run 6-700 bucks. I'm guessing the cylinders will need some work too due to metal particles found in old oil when I changed it. Don't exactly have that kinda coin to toss around right now. Anybody know of a good bandaid fix to get me by until I can scrape together enough to get it done right? ie: engine restore, marvel mystery oil, etc... I don't know, just throwin some ideas out there.

Old 5th May 2012
Greasemonkey

bfgoodmudder will become famous soon enoughbfgoodmudder will become famous soon enoughbfgoodmudder will become famous soon enoughbfgoodmudder will become famous soon enoughbfgoodmudder will become famous soon enoughbfgoodmudder will become famous soon enough

It's an 85 btw

Old 5th May 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 11
Other Motorcycle Model: Road King Police
Other Motorcycle Year: 09
oreocat1 has much to be proud oforeocat1 has much to be proud oforeocat1 has much to be proud oforeocat1 has much to be proud oforeocat1 has much to be proud oforeocat1 has much to be proud oforeocat1 has much to be proud oforeocat1 has much to be proud oforeocat1 has much to be proud oforeocat1 has much to be proud oforeocat1 has much to be proud of

I like the way it looks, hope you get the smoke worked out.
Old 5th May 2012
Jester Syndicate

Sportster/Buell Model: NRHS Stage II 1250-R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Rico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond repute

I can't give you advice on what to do in the interim, but Truett & Osborn is a great shop. The founders are a couple of old time Sportster racers and they know their shit.
Old 8th May 2012
Greasemonkey

Took the ole iron out last night just out of curiosity on how the motor was holding up. Long story short, ended up pushin her home about a mile. Engine completely lost compression. Wouldn't fire up at all. It's sitting at Truitt & Osborne as of about 2:30 today. Can't wait to see what they do with her. Was tempted to try and do some of the work myself but it's probably beyond my means. We'll see what happens.
Know Thy Hog

Old 8th May 2012
Savant?

Sportster/Buell Model: rigid 88" highly modified
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: iforgot
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 80's
Other Motorcycle Model: crs
Other Motorcycle Year: 80's
wilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfgoodmudder View Post
Took the ole iron out last night just out of curiosity on how the motor was holding up. Long story short, ended up pushin her home about a mile. Engine completely lost compression. Wouldn't fire up at all. It's sitting at Truitt & Osborne as of about 2:30 today. Can't wait to see what they do with her. Was tempted to try and do some of the work myself but it's probably beyond my means. We'll see what happens.
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. The shop is widely recognized!