The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Zipper's Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Don's Cyclewear
Superbrace
Superbrace.com
Hammer Performance

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th May 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 71 xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 73
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 74 xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 74
Other Motorcycle Model: BT rigid hand shift
fergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the rough
Default 77 front disc pad shot off under hard breaking

was cranking through traffic today in Minneapolis.....yellow light caught me in a hard acceleration so I grabbed the front brake hard and POP, the inboard side pad popped off it's rivets and shot out in front of me...77 pie caliper.....obviously, I ran the light....first time for that. I had those pads pro-installed too at a local truck brake shop. Guess I should have used adhesive as well as the rivets. I think the pads were the high-end pads from Dennis Kirk as well...those kevlar ones.....I did not have time to go retrieve the pad and look at it to seee if it cracked. The rivets are still in the inboard mount so the pad pulled from the rivets.

guess this is a warning for me...slow down.

Last edited by Folkie; 15th August 2012 at 21:52.. Reason: Language
Old 5th May 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
randy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to all

Hope mine don't do that.
Old 5th May 2012
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Iron Head Sporty
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
Kichard is on a distinguished roadKichard is on a distinguished roadKichard is on a distinguished roadKichard is on a distinguished roadKichard is on a distinguished road

I hate yellow lights.
Old 5th May 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 75 motor in Norton frame.
Other Motorcycle Model: 42WLA 45, Harton, Narley
Other Motorcycle Year: 1942
Hopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to behold

Wow, glad you survived. yeah I never trusted my life to those two rivets, got some brake lining material bonded on to mine.

Check out the surviving rivets, see if they over-flared them and cracked the rivets where they flare outwards.
Old 5th May 2012

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of light

first time through a,red light?
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Know Thy Hog

Old 5th May 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
ezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to beholdezmerf is a splendid one to behold

Did U bevel the leading edge of pad? I've seen pads from factory that with chucks of the pad missing on leading edge.Don't really know what causes this but if beveling helps I do it.
Old 5th May 2012
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
LuckyThirteen08 is a glorious beacon of lightLuckyThirteen08 is a glorious beacon of lightLuckyThirteen08 is a glorious beacon of lightLuckyThirteen08 is a glorious beacon of lightLuckyThirteen08 is a glorious beacon of lightLuckyThirteen08 is a glorious beacon of lightLuckyThirteen08 is a glorious beacon of lightLuckyThirteen08 is a glorious beacon of lightLuckyThirteen08 is a glorious beacon of lightLuckyThirteen08 is a glorious beacon of lightLuckyThirteen08 is a glorious beacon of light

Sucks that the pad popped out in front of you but at least you didnt pop out in front of an SUV. Hope you get things sorted.
Old 5th May 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: chopper looking thing
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph POS
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
hcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to behold

I had a Superglide that did that on a yearly basis. As a wake up call it is not all that agreeable.
Old 5th May 2012

ryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of light

Yellow means throttle up.

If you don't, the guy behind you will rear end you!

I'm guessing the pad was loose for a while before it was rejected by the caliper....
Old 5th May 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 71 xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 73
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 74 xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 74
Other Motorcycle Model: BT rigid hand shift
fergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the roughfergerburger is a jewel in the rough

well...I was doin near 50 in a 30 in the city and caught the yellow about 200 yards back and new I was in trouble...
Know Thy Hog