The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
DK Customs
Progressive Suspension
S&S Cycle
Superbrace.com

Get Lowered

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th May 2012
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: FLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 61
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH Kit Bike
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 60
scottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to all

A Mag makes it extra cool.
See No Evo, Hear No Evo, Speak No Evo, Ride No Evo
Old 5th May 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1957
Other Motorcycle Model: XL 61 62 64 65 68 70 78
Moon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to all

No difference at all in the primaries between 57 and 59. There are few small differences, but the magneto, for instance, is on CH models only. The XLH models all have a distributor identical to the one on your 57XL.

The parts manuals are very common. There is a 55-65 parts catalog (OEM) on ebay right now, sold by Bills Cycles. These are as useful as the service manuals.

There are a few differences between the 57 and later models--smaller valves, different choke set-up, different buddy pegs, etc, but on 90% of the 57s out there, these have all been converted to later model parts.

There are several of us on the forum that have 57s. If you have any questions, just ask.

When everything is as it was in my childhood

Violent, vivid, and of infinite possiblilty:

That the sun and moon broke over my head.--Richard Eberhart
Old 5th May 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: KHK
Sportster/Buell Year: 1954
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLC
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1958
Other Motorcycle Model: XLRTT
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
thefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nicethefrenchowl is just really nice

What's available if you keep looking long enough out there...

Service manuals:

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=742940

Riders Hand Books:

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=744610

Patrick
Old 5th May 2012

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to allbrucstoudt is a name known to all

my h-d factory servce manual covers years,1957-1969.
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 5th May 2012

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
GA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of light

The index page of the 59 - 69 FSM (P/N 99484-68) says "The maintenance and repair information in this manual applies to the 1959 to 1969 Harley-Davidson Sportster and K-KH models". If it applies to K and KH models, it certainly applies to the Sportster in 1957 and -58.

I wonder what the MoCo was thinking when they excluded the first 2 model years???
Know Thy Hog

Old 5th May 2012

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
GA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of lightGA_Ironhead is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
...I do have to remove the primary to reseal and although the three fasteners across the middle appear straight forward, I would like to know if there is anything else I have undo/remove prior to pulling it off.

Any help on obtaining some tech data for this thing would be greatly appreciated or perhaps some guidance on removing the P case.
Directions from the 59-69 FSM. These should be identical to '57. Be sure to get all 3 screws out of the primary cover before trying to remove it.

See Fig. 4B-7 and proceed as follows. Remove left
footrest (I), stoplight switch (2) and rear brake foot
lever (3). Secure stoplight switch out of working
area without disconnecting wires. Place an oil drain
pan under clutch and remove front chain cover screws
(4), cover (5) and gasket (not shown),
Old 5th May 2012
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1957
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: Indian Scout 741
Other Motorcycle Year: 1941
FearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really niceFearlessFrisbee is just really nice

Scott, Excellent post find, thanks, that helps clear things up even more. Ill take photos as I go with mine and post em.
Old 5th May 2012
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: FLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 61
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH Kit Bike
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 60
scottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to allscottfisher is a name known to all

I have had to refer to it many times to help me figure out what I have on my bike.