The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Licks Tanklift  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Cadrien, boyett (64), gulp2000a (60), soulshaker (51), eddien (44), sfxtech (36), 61Comet (36), Rix (35)
Bison Motorsports
Energy One Clutches
NHRS Performance
Figure Machine

Fix My Hog

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th May 2012
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
joey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the roughjoey81iron85 is a jewel in the rough

ha I don't no what a p clamp is but ill look into it. Where can I get em' at
Old 5th May 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to all

like VTwin 31-0816
Old 5th May 2012
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
ultra...good has disabled reputation

For the point[s] where there is contact, clean the surfaces well and rough them up a bit with coarse sandpaper. Will not fix your problem, but in combination with what others have mentioned, it will help.
Old 5th May 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1984
Stenrick is an unknown quantity at this point

Cut another notch into the pipe on the end that clamps to the head. It might just be that your pipe isn't able to close down enough to really grip as well as it should. If I remember correctly, my pipes have 4 notches on them, and I haven't had a problem with them yet. I know some aftermarkets have only 2-3 cut in them. If this isn't your situation then I guess this idea won't be worth a hill of beans to you.