The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lickscycles  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical and Ignition
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Wardog (65), ZeD (62), JamieSporty95 (42), JStrong (37), llsmketr, Phelan (29)
Lowbrow Customs
Bison Motorsports
Sky Smith Insurance
DK Customs

Dead Creek Cycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th May 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
kj_walther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1975 ironhead coil help!

so i bought a 1975 ironhead and it has no electrical hooked up on it. I have the dyna s dual fire ignition in it and need to hook it to the coil, but the ironhead coil does not have a positive or negative mark on it. it is also custom mounted. is there any way of telling which side is positive and which side is negative. according to dyna website if i hook the blue and white wire backwards on my ignition it will fry it instantly. please help me figure this out. much appreciation.
Old 5th May 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to all

typically looking at the tower holes, power is to the left and to ign control to the right.
Old 5th May 2012
Biker

ok so im looking at the coil laying horizontally and the tower holes to the top and the spark plug wires are facing toward me the positive is to the left or the right?
Old 5th May 2012

bustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to allbustert is a name known to all

the stock coil has a hangar bar with two holes for the bracket to bolt to and the top of the bracket bolts to the frame above the front rocker cover. this bar is up and tower holes bottom looking at the coil from the tower hole side. power in to the left, ign control to the right. the ign control just grounds the coil so current can flow and chops the current to fire the plugs be it points or electronic. there are coiles available that have a different magnetic couple and it doesn't matter which is which but a stock coil is polarity sensitive.
Old 6th May 2012
Biker

You are being a great help, problem is, is I have a highly modified bobber that has the frame chopped and stretched so I have no clue how the mounting was. That's why I was refferring to the coil laying horizontally with the mounting holes up and the spark plug wires facing me. Is there any way you could tell me positive and negative that way? Thx alot for the help in advance, sorry for being a pain. I'm trying to save the 180 on buying a new dyna coil

I geuss where I'm getting confused is the spark plugs facing me or away from me? And then the positive and negative part from which way your looking at it.
Know Thy Hog

Old 9th May 2012
Biker

still need help figuring this one out...... if im looking at the spark plug wires and the mounting holes are on top, coil laying sideways......... which side is positive, which side is negative..... i reallly wanna wire this thing up
Old 9th May 2012

best thing is to do image search say on google for a stock machine and see or the library as they usually have hd history books. lay the coil on the table, it can only stand up on way, tower holes down, same on the original, tower holes down facing rear. at work but i know someone out the has a picture that can help.
Old 17th May 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: Guzzi lemans
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
Guzzi850 is an unknown quantity at this point

With the coil laying flat and the sparkplug wire sockets pointing towards the rear of the bike the positive terminal is on the left.