The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Lowbrow Customs
883 Sportster
DK Customs
DK Customs

Figure Machine

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th May 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Xl883l
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
January14 is an unknown quantity at this point

So it's a conicidence. I had it running for 10-15 mins. I turned it off and now all I hear is the fuel injecton, no clicks, lights turn on, check engine diag is still clear.
Old 5th May 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200N
Cosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by January14 View Post
So it's a conicidence. I had it running for 10-15 mins. I turned it off and now all I hear is the fuel injecton, no clicks, lights turn on, check engine diag is still clear.
You checked both ends of the battery cables to make sure everything was tight right?

The system relay and starter relay are the same. Swap those. If your starter relay was bad pay attention to hear if the fuel pump comes on to prime when you first go to start the bike. If the one relay was bad and you swapped it with the other relay....the fuel pump will not prime now. Although...sometimes just handling these things can get them to work for a little bit. Also, of course, see if it starts.

Also....while you are screwing around by the fuse block....pull all the fuses out (should have mentioned this before too) and clean off any corrosion on them. 07'-09' are poorly design and anytime the bike gets wet water runs down the fuse block....common issue for many electrical gremlins. Check to see if there is corrosion on the relays too. If there...best bet is to purchase new ones as that corrosion can bleed into the relay housing itself and cause issues.

If you don't stand behind our troops, please, feel free to stand in front of them!
Old 6th May 2012
Biker

I got my new battery in the mail today. All the issues seem to be cured. It strange how a bad battery can have so many signs. Sorry the answer isnt more exciting, but it's nice to be back on the road.
Old 6th May 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200N
Cosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant future

Nice!...thanks for letting us know what cured the problem.
Old 7th June 2012
Biker

Update on the status. My bike worked a lot better after I replaced the battery, but it still had some issues starting cold, since this is my first HD I figured it was normal.

Last weekend I was unable to keep it running (she would die after about 5-10 seconds). My Mechanic told me that my fuel pump is out... Common problem with the 2007s but since mine only has 2k miles I didn't think that was the issue. So I'm out a bike fora couple of weeks until I can get the funds and order the parts. Anyone know a place online to get these cheaper?

Thx!
Know Thy Hog

Old 7th June 2012
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB350 Cafe Style
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
khaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud of

Quote:
Sorry I meant crank position sensor.

The bike is all stock, never done any mods.

New premium gas about a week ago.

My bike is always in neutral when I start
Premium gas will cause carbon buildup. 883L is rated for 87 octane.

2006 883L
AN Big Sucker Stage 1
Rejetted Carb: Slow 45, Main 175
Vance & Hines Side Shots
Flat Track bars, 4" Joker Machine Risers
Joker Machine Speedo Mount
Speedway Instrument MicroTach
Mid Controls
Lepera Daytona Sport or Lepera Bare Bones Solo
Black Progressive 412 12.5" shocks
Progressive Fork Springs
Knock-off SE Fork Brace
Chopped Rear Fender
Custom Taillight

Ol' Greasy Karl of the Spirit Stalkers MC
Outlaw Name Generator

XLForum Business Card Template

BEFORE YOU CLIMB ON YOUR MOTORCYCLE, CHECK THAT THE NUT THAT CONNECTS THE HANDLEBAR TO THE SEAT IS NEITHER TOO TIGHT NOR TOO LOOSE.
Old 7th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N Org/Blk
erbie07nightster is a name known to allerbie07nightster is a name known to allerbie07nightster is a name known to allerbie07nightster is a name known to allerbie07nightster is a name known to allerbie07nightster is a name known to allerbie07nightster is a name known to allerbie07nightster is a name known to allerbie07nightster is a name known to allerbie07nightster is a name known to allerbie07nightster is a name known to all

Quote:
Update on the status. My bike worked a lot better after I replaced the battery, but it still had some issues starting cold, since this is my first HD I figured it was normal.

Last weekend I was unable to keep it running (she would die after about 5-10 seconds). My Mechanic told me that my fuel pump is out... Common problem with the 2007s but since mine only has 2k miles I didn't think that was the issue. So I'm out a bike fora couple of weeks until I can get the funds and order the parts. Anyone know a place online to get these cheaper?

Thx!
Before shelling out the bucks for a new pump, double check the relays if you haven't already and also read this.

TT328 – August 9, 2007 – 2007 XL Fuel Pressure
2007 XL Pressure Regulator / Low Fuel Pressure
With the help of the dealer network we were able to isolate some recent no start and poor drive quality complaints caused by inadequate fuel pressure. On some ’07 Sportster models the fuel pressure has been recorded well below the service
requirement of 55-62 PSI. This finding lead us to the conclusion the pressure was bleeding down past the large pressure regulator o-ring.

In order to ensure proper positioning and minimize movement of the o-ring a new service kit has been introduced. Use labor code 7164 and order part number 61005-07, which consists of a “Castle” Washer, Filter Screen, 1 Small and 1 Large O-Ring and is
intended for use on 75268-07/A/B Sportster fuel pumps. The “castle” spacer is installed with the openings pointing downward to prevent fuel flow restriction and should be only added to 75268-07B or earlier XL fuel pumps. Inspection processes were put in place prior to 2008 model launch, and in late August of 2007 XL production will be making a running change to a 75268-07C fuel pump. These fuel pumps will not require the “castle” spacer. The original regulator service kit (p/n 61015-04A) will remain available for situations requiring regulator replacement, service of a 75268-07C fuel pump or service of an already upgraded -07B and earlier pump.
Old 7th June 2012
Biker

Thx Ernie- I have the later model...already checked.