The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Bison Motorsports  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring This section is for the discussion of setting up you Sportster motorcycle touring and long distance riding.

Members Birthdays
Cadrien, boyett (64), gulp2000a (60), soulshaker (51), eddien (44), sfxtech (36), 61Comet (36), Rix (35)
Lickscycles
883 Sportster
CV Performance
883 Sportster

Dead Creek Cycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th May 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
MacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to all

I too have a Mustang seat, but it's not all that for the long haul. My 63 year old butt feels it, so I dress for the ride, sometimes over doing it BUT, if You have everything with You, You can always take things off, whereas otherwise if You don't, you're screwed, unless one buys things on the road!!
Old 8th May 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
FiremanTx is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an air hawk that I put on for longer trips and it saves my butt from soreness and sweat. I love it.
Old 8th May 2012
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster Custom 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Stage 1, Remus pipes N4's
Nzhasher has a spectacular aura aboutNzhasher has a spectacular aura aboutNzhasher has a spectacular aura aboutNzhasher has a spectacular aura aboutNzhasher has a spectacular aura aboutNzhasher has a spectacular aura aboutNzhasher has a spectacular aura aboutNzhasher has a spectacular aura aboutNzhasher has a spectacular aura aboutNzhasher has a spectacular aura aboutNzhasher has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Agreed! I thought I'd have mine off most of the time. Turns out it's on most of the time.
Yep, get the detachable full windsheild. Its amazing how much better riding
is when the wind pressure is off your chest.
And dress warm! Ya can always take it off and stash in a backpack.
Old 9th May 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice

You just need to get the right handle bars, seat, and some suspension work done. It took me some time to get my bike right for me, but now I can do 14hr days.[IMG][/IMG]
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Arial"][FONT="Arial"][FONT="Arial"][/FONT][FONT="Arial"][/FONT][FONT="Fixedsys"][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]2004 883 custom, softail heritage handlebars, spoked dyna rear wheel, 1200c stock rear pulley, softail deluxe rear lights, dyna 10row oil cooler, shovelhead hard saddlebags with roadking air shocks. A few splashes of bling here and there.

My Gallery: [COLOR="MediumTurquoise"][URL="http://xlforum.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=2447"]http://xlforum.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=2447[/URL][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]
Old 9th May 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
dashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant future

I made a 550 mile trip last summer, in one day. I have a couple of seats but for this trip I used the Mustang Vintage Solo, put on a Memphis Shades windscreen, inserted some earplugs, and had a ball. The windscreen helps a lot and the earplugs are a necessity for long trips. You'd be amazed at the difference those three little things make. The trip was a pleasure and even at the end I was not tired or sore.

Old 19th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
da1200 is a jewel in the roughda1200 is a jewel in the roughda1200 is a jewel in the roughda1200 is a jewel in the roughda1200 is a jewel in the roughda1200 is a jewel in the roughda1200 is a jewel in the roughda1200 is a jewel in the roughda1200 is a jewel in the roughda1200 is a jewel in the roughda1200 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashadow View Post
I made a 550 mile trip last summer, in one day. I have a couple of seats but for this trip I used the Mustang Vintage Solo, put on a Memphis Shades windscreen, inserted some earplugs, and had a ball. The windscreen helps a lot and the earplugs are a necessity for long trips. You'd be amazed at the difference those three little things make. The trip was a pleasure and even at the end I was not tired or sore.
That's about it. I would add padded gloves and maybe an upgrade to rear shocks (I went with the Progressive 412s) and things should be a lot better. I do 550 miles from Birmingham to Orlando several times a year and it's never a problem with Mustang Vintage Solo seat, detachable windscreen (Rifle Roadster is on the way), and improved shocks. Good luck!
Old 19th June 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Sportster/Buell Model #2: H-D sportster 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2010
red sport. is a glorious beacon of lightred sport. is a glorious beacon of lightred sport. is a glorious beacon of lightred sport. is a glorious beacon of lightred sport. is a glorious beacon of lightred sport. is a glorious beacon of lightred sport. is a glorious beacon of lightred sport. is a glorious beacon of lightred sport. is a glorious beacon of lightred sport. is a glorious beacon of lightred sport. is a glorious beacon of light

my 2010 (bought 5-11 new) has 11,599 miles on it now (13mo), not been on any long trip like you fellows But, i installed hand shields (jpcycle), windshield (18'') stuffed a pr. of rain pants over head light behind windshiels to stop that hole up.& other things. wk ago i got a set of armor (Bohn-Armor-pants.com) & shirt. you wear these under your jeans & shirt. thinking come in handy this winter. been riding local, pretty cool, 90 degrees. i getting off subject, the hand shield are great with 1st. gear heat, just relax your hand & instal a crump buster, that help on viberation. mine don't seem to be as bad as it was & i've got use to it. been looking at seats thou.
Old 19th June 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
dashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant futuredashadow has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by da1200 View Post
That's about it. I would add padded gloves and maybe an upgrade to rear shocks (I went with the Progressive 412s) and things should be a lot better. I do 550 miles from Birmingham to Orlando several times a year and it's never a problem with Mustang Vintage Solo seat, detachable windscreen (Rifle Roadster is on the way), and improved shocks. Good luck!
I agree those things are nice. I have 418's on the rear, Progressive springs in the forks, and ISO grips and pegs. I just mentioned the three that I think are most important. And you can do all three for around $400.
Old 19th June 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Sportster/Buell Model #2: H-D sportster 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2010
red sport. is a glorious beacon of lightred sport. is a glorious beacon of lightred sport. is a glorious beacon of lightred sport. is a glorious beacon of lightred sport. is a glorious beacon of lightred sport. is a glorious beacon of lightred sport. is a glorious beacon of lightred sport. is a glorious beacon of lightred sport. is a glorious beacon of lightred sport. is a glorious beacon of lightred sport. is a glorious beacon of light
Default first 500 mile trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66impala View Post
You just need to get the right handle bars, seat, and some suspension work done. It took me some time to get my bike right for me, but now I can do 14hr days.[IMG][/IMG]
66 impala, where did you find the brackets and top box? i took mine off, it was too close, couldn't lean back.