The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Get Lowered  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sportster Motorcycle Project
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Zanzibar, stvmike (60), Leroywulf (56), Erik (53), SoCal Harley (48), drew96 (36), Reverend_d (34)
CV Performance
Progressive Suspension
DK Customs
S&S Cycle

Foxcreek Leather

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th May 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo XL Sidecar
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
JasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitpusher View Post
i can't remember, it happened pretty quick.

10 seconds is a very conservative estimate, but i am pretty sure i quickly developed a slightly worried look on my face when i realized that it was going to have to be me saying 'uncle', not the bike.

so many things that, considering who built them , very well could have been getting ready to let go. i still had another 600 rpm to go but i really did not want to end my day out, amongst other things, at 7am and a 100 miles from home.

if 8psi can pull 5th gear to redline i am thinking the baker needs to go back into the mix and see what 14psi can do in 6th.

this bike is now officially scary. (to me) i think i am actually going to get what i have been asking for, specifically 'never again saying to myself "I sure wished I had a little more go"
I say go down on the rear saw blade and go up on the boost...no one needs six gears, I say spend more time in each gear and let the turbo gnomes handle the rest

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
Old 9th May 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200X Turbo 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200 Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2008
Turbo Sporty 48 has disabled reputation

Quote:
i can't remember, it happened pretty quick.

10 seconds is a very conservative estimate, but i am pretty sure i quickly developed a slightly worried look on my face when i realized that it was going to have to be me saying 'uncle', not the bike.

so many things that, considering who built them , very well could have been getting ready to let go. i still had another 600 rpm to go but i really did not want to end my day out, amongst other things, at 7am and a 100 miles from home.

if 8psi can pull 5th gear to redline i am thinking the baker needs to go back into the mix and see what 14psi can do in 6th.

this bike is now officially scary. (to me) i think i am actually going to get what i have been asking for, specifically 'never again saying to myself "I sure wished I had a little more go"
This sums up a concern, having just a little too much power than one is ready for skill and equipment wise.
Not going to bore anyone with a story of riding at speeds above my ability but it might happen someday(Everyday).
So glad to be a part of this turbo development even from the sidelines.
Still have not decided between an 883R or XRX but I know 1212 is big enough for me.
But it has to brake and handle much better than stock.
Old 9th May 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1987
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1991
Other Motorcycle Model: Sportster XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1995
Dakin Engineering has disabled reputation

Sky,
If it wasn't for your target of 9's, I'd start loosing teeth off the back.
With that much low end grunt, you can use any ratio you want.
My 1200 engine pulled 23/35 without a qualm. Even fishtailed a bit when
I got too happy with the throttle.
The 88" launched with just-off-idle on 21/39. As a trike...

I always went back to stock gearing for drag racing, however.

Sam
Old 9th May 2012
outside the box racing

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo 1350 XLSR
Sportster/Buell Year: 99
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Turbo 1350 XLDS project
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: 883->1330 dragster
Other Motorcycle Year: 1991
bitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSarratt View Post
...no one needs six gears
i will file this bit of particular bit of advice in the drawer with 'it will never work' and 'you are dreaming' and 'you will poke yur eye out'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty 48 View Post
This sums up a concern, having just a little too much power than one is ready for skill and equipment wise.
you get skill by doing. so i am doing. when/if i come on here and claim to not be crapping my pants, then you should start being concerned about hubris.

as far as the equipment goes - the chassis and suspension build proved itself yesterday in many ways. i am pleasantly surprised at the quality of the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakin Engineering View Post
Sky,
If it wasn't for your target of 9's, I'd start loosing teeth off the back.
With that much low end grunt, you can use any ratio you want.
My 1200 engine pulled 23/35 without a qualm. Even fishtailed a bit when
I got too happy with the throttle.
The 88" launched with just-off-idle on 21/39. As a trike...

I always went back to stock gearing for drag racing, however.

Sam
i think it's going to be a process of trying different combinations to find out what works. gearing tall makes sense for the turbo but it comes at the cost of the hole shot. i have a 43 and a 47 for back, and a 24 for the front. I will order a 20 and see what combos work best for each situation.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." - T. S. Eliot

TGB #8
#1999 1350 APS-PBG AMA/USFRA current
Old 9th May 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Flat Track Racer
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: RIP 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
A 4 liter V8 eater has disabled reputation

Quote:
it looks like the strip is going to wait at least another week.

my 500 mile ride today gave me the chance to explore this machine we have built and the plans are changing a little bit......

i left out of phx at 6am and got up out of the valley by 7. i had been slightly passing traffic which is all doing 85 in a 75 for 5 miles so i knew what was behind me and when i got up onto the prairie i could see it was clear so i rolled it on starting at 85 or so.

the motor immediately pulled like a freight train and kept pulling. i was not even wide open, just rolling it on. pulled right through 5k, 5.5k, still pulling, 6k, wtf?! when it didn't look like it was going to stop i cut it at 6.4k for a bunch of reasons. the main reason was that i was shitting myself.

6.4k with my gearing is 130mph+ (i don't have a speedo sender on these buell cases but i was paced at 65mph at 2900rpm later in the day).

crap tune. junkyard top end. stock cams. 8psi boost.

130 and still pulling hard. front end solid as a rock. rear end tracking like it was on a rail, me laying on the tank all tucked in with my feet on the rear pegs.

i worked this engine brutally today, mountain passes, wide open straight runs, very few breaks. runs cool and strong.

i pulled into the house a few minutes ago after winding it out playing with some very surprised metrics on the way home and it sat there idling at 950rpm purring like a kitten.

before we take it out to the track it is getting 14psi boost and a very careful tune.

see, the plan has changed
I beg you to change your avatar. I need to hold my hand over it to read your posts. For some reason eyes really gross me out. I cant even watch people put contacts in.

Link to thread on "Harley Racing" events across the country: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=53470

These events include Hillclimbing, Flat Track Racing, Ice racing, Drag Racing, etc.. They are all sports dominated by Harley Davidsons. They are always located in scenic areas and are great weekend rides. The above link allows XLforum users to coordinate riding to these events together.
Know Thy Hog

Old 9th May 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo XL Sidecar
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
JasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud of

I'm bustin balls with the 6 speed I see value, especially on the salt to overdrive the bike if the baker is over driven... I also see value in tight ratio boxes for the strip if you have a kinda narrow power band... I also have heard a lot that the xl6 doesn't like being hammered on to much... Most of those reports I think were shift drum issues though not gear issues...

As you don't currently appear to have a narrow range of real power and your seat a the pants testing says your pulling hard clear to 7k instead of only till 5500 I just personally think giving her a lil more legs may work out well, make for easy changes and the stock 5 speed is up to the task...

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
Old 9th May 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Quote:
you get skill by doing. so i am doing. when/if i come on here and claim to not be crapping my pants, then you should start being concerned about hubris.

as far as the equipment goes - the chassis and suspension build proved itself yesterday in many ways. i am pleasantly surprised at the quality of the results............
Redeye, Bitpusher,
I used to have big balls too. Gonna miss the salt this year since the knee replacements are scheduled for August and September.
Just mentioning the obvious, not suggesting you are backing off on the throttle.
New readers might not know you have extended the swing arm and other high speed mods as well, right?
Old 9th May 2012
outside the box racing

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo 1350 XLSR
Sportster/Buell Year: 99
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Turbo 1350 XLDS project
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: 883->1330 dragster
Other Motorcycle Year: 1991
bitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty 48 View Post
Redeye, Bitpusher,
I used to have big balls too. Gonna miss the salt this year since the knee replacements are scheduled for August and September.
Just mentioning the obvious, not suggesting you are backing off on the throttle.
New readers might not know you have extended the swing arm and other high speed mods as well, right?
ahhh, i see. sorry, i was totally wiped out last night after 15 straight hours of riding and i misunderstood you.

yeah, you can find other similarly named threads that chronicle the work i have done to prepare for the new exhaust but the highlights are: hayabusa front end ( 12 pots on 2 floating rotors, adjustable inverted cartridge forks), 7" stretch of the chassis, custom swingarm to accomodate GSXR wheel.

let's just say i have been planning for speed for a long time and now it is time.

this junkyard motor is going to get one more workout with 14psi. hopefully it survives. if not, i am hoping the damage is limited to jugs and pistons. i have new, application specific, 1200 jugs and pistons that will go on, along with SE .497 cams and we will see what that can do before dropping in the 1350 built around the beefed up crank assembly.
Old 9th May 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Quote:
ahhh, i see. sorry, i was totally wiped out last night after 15 straight hours of riding and i misunderstood you.

yeah, you can find other similarly named threads that chronicle the work i have done to prepare for the new exhaust but the highlights are: hayabusa front end ( 12 pots on 2 floating rotors, adjustable inverted cartridge forks), 7" stretch of the chassis, custom swingarm to accomodate GSXR wheel.

let's just say i have been planning for speed for a long time and now it is time.

this junkyard motor is going to get one more workout with 14psi. hopefully it survives. if not, i am hoping the damage is limited to jugs and pistons. i have new, application specific, 1200 jugs and pistons that will go on, along with SE .497 cams and we will see what that can do before dropping in the 1350 built around the beefed up crank assembly.
You are the MAN!
Love the Avatar
Best of luck.
Old 15th May 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Flat Track Racer
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: RIP 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
A 4 liter V8 eater has disabled reputation

Quote:
i just read what i wrote....

11.5 is what a finely tuned high performance NA 1200 engine can do. granted, i am running a stock-ish junk engine that will most likely not be finely tuned but....

11.3. that's the mark. i will make that or blow up trying.
My Sportster sport ran in the 11's, and all it had was cycleshack slip ons and a 6800 rpm SE ignition.

I have a spreadsheet setup for chosing gear ratios I could email you if you want. You can keep duplicating the same column to compare different setups. I have the Baker XL-6 ratios and stock ratios already plugged in. It also approximates how many G's you'll accelerate with in each gear, top speed in each gear, all taking into account weight, tire size and all gearing. The next evolution of the spreadsheet will include manually entered dyno results and adjustable reaction and shift times to approximate 1/4 mile times. Aaron or Dakin or other LSR builders, would any of you happened to have approximated the coefficient of drag of a naked sportster?

Last edited by A 4 liter V8 eater; 15th May 2012 at 18:33..
Know Thy Hog