The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum MOTOSPORT  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
Bison Motorsports
RYCA Motors
Superbrace.com
Bison Motorsports

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th June 2006
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda Fourtrax 250R (ATV)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1986
bearsfan has a spectacular aura aboutbearsfan has a spectacular aura aboutbearsfan has a spectacular aura aboutbearsfan has a spectacular aura aboutbearsfan has a spectacular aura aboutbearsfan has a spectacular aura aboutbearsfan has a spectacular aura aboutbearsfan has a spectacular aura aboutbearsfan has a spectacular aura aboutbearsfan has a spectacular aura aboutbearsfan has a spectacular aura about
Default Can someone list the steps to removing a stock carb please?

I've been hesitant to remove my carb because of the various cables and hoses that are attached to it - didn't want to mess something up or get to a point where I couldn't get it back on.
Any help would be appreciated!
-Jason
Old 10th June 2006
Assistant Administrator

Sportster/Buell Model: 1212 conversion/497 cams
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
xena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you don't have a service manual.
I'd suggest you get one if you are going to
be doing things like removing your carb, the
manual will pay for itself in no time.
Your local dealer should have them in stock.

XLF Rules/Guidelines

XLF Guidelines II
*¸.•´¸.•´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ (¸.•*´¯`*•--->Xena
1212 Conversion 10:1 CR
SE 497 Cams
Python 3 Slip ons
TC88A running Xena's Black Panther Map

My 1212 Conversion Thread
XL Forum Members Map

Old 10th June 2006
BT Heathen

Sportster/Buell Model: FLHTPI
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Casper is a splendid one to beholdCasper is a splendid one to beholdCasper is a splendid one to beholdCasper is a splendid one to beholdCasper is a splendid one to beholdCasper is a splendid one to beholdCasper is a splendid one to beholdCasper is a splendid one to beholdCasper is a splendid one to beholdCasper is a splendid one to beholdCasper is a splendid one to behold

If you just need a little access room to the carb (e.g. swapping jets) it can be pretty simple. Once the bracket's off (or backplate, depending on what you have), you just loosen the throttle cables to make some slack, unhook the enricher cable from its bracket (once again, for slack), and wiggle the carb out of the intake manifold. It's just held in by pressure & the bracket/backplate. The hoses have enough play that you shouldn't have to disconnect them. Of course, if you want to take the carb right off the bike to work on it on a bench, etc., then obviously the cables/hoses have gotta go.

Regardless of what you're doing, Xena's right; getting the field manual is certainly a good investment!

I need more Plan B's in my life. Plan A rarely works as advertised.