The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
Progressive Suspension
Energy One Clutches
DK Customs
Licks Holiday

Progressive Suspension

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th June 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 88" softail frame
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell XB Uly XT
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2008
Randy_rots is a jewel in the roughRandy_rots is a jewel in the roughRandy_rots is a jewel in the roughRandy_rots is a jewel in the roughRandy_rots is a jewel in the roughRandy_rots is a jewel in the roughRandy_rots is a jewel in the roughRandy_rots is a jewel in the roughRandy_rots is a jewel in the roughRandy_rots is a jewel in the roughRandy_rots is a jewel in the rough

I preffer thermostat, it works when needs to be working...
Old 10th June 2012
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLSa
Sportster/Buell Year: 82
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FLHTC
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1987
Monkeywrencher is on a distinguished roadMonkeywrencher is on a distinguished roadMonkeywrencher is on a distinguished roadMonkeywrencher is on a distinguished roadMonkeywrencher is on a distinguished road

I've been considering a cooler myself. Living here on the gulf coast. I haven't overheated, but my thighs have been warmer than I wanted. Has anyone used the oil filter adaptor to run the cooler?
Old 10th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Twoturntables is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoturntables View Post
I live in South Florida and have an oil tank situation, 1. it's too large 2. the PO mounted it in a WTF? way 3. it's suspect.

My question goes...

Since I'm in the 1. heat down here and 2. oil cooler is great for the engine longevity...

Is it possible to use one or two (for added capacity) oil coolers, in place of an oil tank.

Would two larger well placed oil coolers be used in lieu of a small oil tank?

I think so even if there might be challenges; there's engineering solution available right?

thanks!
The best solution for this, with or without oil coolers...is a 3/4 gas 1/4 oil split main tank.

I've got this project fame and tank in the corner www.uschopper.com - the boardtracker with the curved tank.

It's tank is 3/4 gas 1/4 oil.

Have to work on my 74 Ironhead tank, I mean completely redo so could hide an oil tank and have it done then and it on both the bikes.

I call it an elegant solution and be done, er - find some hours on the job to pay for it ha!
Old 10th June 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 75 motor in Norton frame.
Other Motorcycle Model: 42WLA 45, Harton, Narley
Other Motorcycle Year: 1942
Hopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoturntables View Post
The best solution for this, with or without oil coolers...is a 3/4 gas 1/4 oil split main tank.

I've got this project fame and tank in the corner www.uschopper.com - the boardtracker with the curved tank.

It's tank is 3/4 gas 1/4 oil.

Have to work on my 74 Ironhead tank, I mean completely redo so could hide an oil tank and have it done then and it on both the bikes.

I call it an elegant solution and be done, er - find some hours on the job to pay for it ha!
I dunno. I got a combined oil and gas tank on my old 45 and it runs hotter than Hades. No difference from running a separate oil tank - except it burns the crap out of my right leg!
Old 10th June 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xls roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
nikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper View Post
I dunno. I got a combined oil and gas tank on my old 45 and it runs hotter than Hades. No difference from running a separate oil tank - except it burns the crap out of my right leg!
Hopper is not your WLA a total loss oil system ( the oil doesn't go back to the tank so every so often you add more oil to tank ) ? Nikki

Old 10th June 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to all

If you read the manual it says to use 60W oil in temps over 80°.

But then how do you ride at night?

The answer is to use a lighter oil and an oil cooler......

They don't say that in the manual, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.
Old 10th June 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1000 XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
The Whammer is on a distinguished roadThe Whammer is on a distinguished roadThe Whammer is on a distinguished roadThe Whammer is on a distinguished roadThe Whammer is on a distinguished road

I was able to lower my bikes running temp 10 to 15 degree’s with this one I made out of 3/8” stainless tubing and a pipe bender. I intend on making a tighter one out of copper. The cooler was well worth it In my opinion.