The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Get Lowered  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
wallylach (63), cob (60), decman (58), djhannu (52), Vaughn, irishhog (45), dangjalopy (41), earthoverdrive (36), edman87k5 (35), 79iron (32), mr_anti_chrome
Sportster Specialty
Sky Smith Insurance
DK Customs
CV Performance

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster bobber
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
cableguy3443 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newby question about forward controls on 1974 Sportster

First of all Im new to the ironheads in general so please bare with me. I ride a 2003 Ultra Classic and Im pretty familiar with Harleys and can build a Chevrolet engine with the best. I recently ran across a 1974 Sportster that has had a rigid frame welded to it so its a project that still needs alot of work.....pretty much a rolling chassis with engine added.

My question is this.... since the 1974 is a right side shift and its on a rigid frame that I will be adding rear disc brakes too does anyone know what I can do for forward controls? Ive seen where they make forward controls for this bike with drum brakes but nothing for disc.....I have seen the same mods done in videos on youtube with disc brakes but cant tell what they have done for forward controls......any clues as what to do? Can I buy regular forward controls and mix match parts to make it work?

Surely this has been done multiple times right?
Old 11th June 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1000cc Ironhead Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: 96 KDX200 Dirt Bike
russzx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to all

Here is a pic of my 77 that was originally a drum brake rear, which i also modified a set of forwards off a big twin for, mainly because all the IH forwards i found were a bit flimsy. And i also fitted an 02 fatboy rear rim and brake assembly. I know its not right side shift, but will give you some ideas on what can be done

Old 11th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

Nice work Russ!

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
58mm Inverted Wide Glide Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Six Piston Jaybrake Calipers
16" Carlini Apes
Old 11th June 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: chopper looking thing
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph POS
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
hcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to beholdhcrashster is a splendid one to behold

Question is, are you keeping the bike as a right hand shift.?
If so J&P Cycles part #541-099. This can be modified with a little fabrication to mount a master cylinder.
Buying multiple kits to mix parts is going to be in the $700.00+ range for just two forward kits. It's better to make your own.
Old 11th June 2012
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy3443 View Post
.... I recently ran across a 1974 Sportster that has had a rigid frame welded to it ... since the 1974 is a right side shift and its on a rigid frame that I will be adding rear disc brakes too does anyone know what I can do for forward controls?
KraftTech are amoung the best. Check thru these to see which would require the least modifications ...

http://www.krafttechinc.com/PDF%20fi...rdControls.pdf
Know Thy Hog

Old 12th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster bobber
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
cableguy3443 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Its hard to see

Yes I am keeping it right hand shift....well if I can but if not does that mean there is a easy way to convert to left shift? Its a big plus to me to keep it right shift but not mandatory. I cant tell what comes apart and how I might be able to mix and match with the catalog pictures thats why I was hoping someone might be able to tell me exactly what they did. Im not near any bike shops that would carry something like this and mountings from another bike to this one will be hard to judge.

I could spend $700 on two kits to mix and match but it still might not work without compromising the look.
Old 12th June 2012
Rider Of The Iron Steed

IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

I think you should be able to easily make one of the KraftTech sets fit.
Old 14th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 900cc
Sportster/Buell Year: 1967
irondane is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

sorry to post in your thread cableguy3443.
IronMick, do you know by any chance if there is a should in Europe that deals with the KraftTech ? i have a forward control from a newer sportster laying around but can see it is to much work to get it to fit

thanks for this nice forum.

cheers from Denmark
Old 15th June 2012
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondane View Post
... IronMick, do you know by any chance if there is a should in Europe that deals with the KraftTech ? ...
Hhmmm, you have an incorrect word in here. Do you mean shop? Are you looking for a place to buy them?
Old 15th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 900cc
Sportster/Buell Year: 1967
irondane is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick View Post
Hhmmm, you have an incorrect word in here. Do you mean shop? Are you looking for a place to buy them?
Hi Mike, sorry yes that is indeed at incorrect word, and it should have been shop :-)
We are not that lucky buying parts in eu because they are always hard to find, and if we find what we need its pricy. we can order from usa or Canada but we have to pay extra told and taxes
Know Thy Hog