The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Zipper's Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
hdbabe49 (65), gene405 (58), hongkong076 (44), whispanic (34)
NHRS Performance
Bison Motorsports
Foxcreek Leather
RYCA Motors

Burly

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th June 2012
Biker

tyreguy25 is a jewel in the roughtyreguy25 is a jewel in the roughtyreguy25 is a jewel in the roughtyreguy25 is a jewel in the roughtyreguy25 is a jewel in the roughtyreguy25 is a jewel in the roughtyreguy25 is a jewel in the roughtyreguy25 is a jewel in the roughtyreguy25 is a jewel in the roughtyreguy25 is a jewel in the roughtyreguy25 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by xllent01 View Post
An old POS IH's are going for over 5k in my area..

So yeah it depends on what part of the country you live in..Those earlier evo's are getting 3-4 k, but actually selling them is a different ballgame..
We can buy IHs here in Kansas City for under $3000 most days. An Evo, you are able to find an 883 for about $4000, 1200 for about $4250. It isn't a bad market for the Sporty buyers. I am looking to buy a bike, but the price will depend upon what I can get loaned for (unless I wait until tax time next year). Good luck with the sale!
Old 12th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1989
catch_kc is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharback View Post
You may very well be right but, it doesn't really matter. Perception is what matters. Mileage doesn't really mean that much on these bikes. Very low mileage can be as bad as very high mileage. Sitting around for a few years is not good for a bike.

But, you really need to look at prices in your area. They can vary widely.
Just today, I went into a local V-Twin shop here in the tiny village I live in, and the owner had a 90 or 91' 883 for sale in there. It was in the same condition as mine but the motor finish was 10X better looking. He was asking $4,500. I showed him mine and asked a good list price and he said that mine would most likely sell for somewhere in the same ball park just because of the 1200. Apparently, 1200s are more desireable and sell better and faster than the 883s. And apparently, its a sellers market for Sportys around here.

So I guess location does make a difference. I'll probably list at $4,000 OBO and keep my fingures crossed. Might get lucky... Thanks fellas.
Old 13th June 2012
Biker

tyreguy25 is a jewel in the roughtyreguy25 is a jewel in the roughtyreguy25 is a jewel in the roughtyreguy25 is a jewel in the roughtyreguy25 is a jewel in the roughtyreguy25 is a jewel in the roughtyreguy25 is a jewel in the roughtyreguy25 is a jewel in the roughtyreguy25 is a jewel in the roughtyreguy25 is a jewel in the roughtyreguy25 is a jewel in the rough

Good luck bud. Let us know.
Old 13th June 2012
Red Beard Cycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by catch_kc View Post
Just today, I went into a local V-Twin shop here in the tiny village I live in, and the owner had a 90 or 91' 883 for sale in there. It was in the same condition as mine but the motor finish was 10X better looking. He was asking $4,500. I showed him mine and asked a good list price and he said that mine would most likely sell for somewhere in the same ball park just because of the 1200. Apparently, 1200s are more desireable and sell better and faster than the 883s. And apparently, its a sellers market for Sportys around here.

So I guess location does make a difference. I'll probably list at $4,000 OBO and keep my fingures crossed. Might get lucky... Thanks fellas.
Just be sure that in your mind you're comfortable with 2500 being OBO.. You never know.

if it was a 5 speed, and in a little better shape (speedo) you could ask 5,000

I missed out on an 87 for $1,300 (running bike) which is about half what I would expect to spend. 2-3K is a good deal on both sides of the transaction..

Good Luck and Happy Selling..

(and does your Motorcycle Insurance Cover Test rides ?, and protect you from Mayhem.)

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch
Old 13th June 2012
Devoted Life Behind Barz

Sportster/Buell Model: Highly modified 1200 c
Sportster/Buell Year: 01
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX H-D Street glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
xllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyreguy25 View Post
We can buy IHs here in Kansas City for under $3000 most days. An Evo, you are able to find an 883 for about $4000, 1200 for about $4250. It isn't a bad market for the Sporty buyers. I am looking to buy a bike, but the price will depend upon what I can get loaned for (unless I wait until tax time next year). Good luck with the sale!
If you have credit/job you can go buy a brand new one?
Know Thy Hog