The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Figure Machine
Lowbrow Customs
RYCA Motors
CV Performance

Licks Cycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th June 2012
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
My brake line is too short.
It can be rebent to fit. You'd be happier with a braided one.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Old 16th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo XL Sidecar
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
JasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob F View Post
It can be rebent to fit. You'd be happier with a braided one.
Agreed... Use a quality braided line though...some of the cheaper knock offs tend to suck air at the fitting even though you don't see an apparent fluid leak

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
Old 16th June 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Cosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxBlue View Post
Still need the bars Shu?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu View Post
Lux, I do still need bars. However I stopped by my local dealer and he had some brand new ones in stock that someone ordered and didn't end up buying or something. I may try to pick those up and leave your offer to somone else who may need to save the $65 more than I do right now.
Good for you guys....you both get Rep from me! Things like this remind me how great this forum is. Lux (and the other guys) who offered up their bars and Shu for not just taking them cause he could....but letting them go to someone else who may not be able to spend $$ on a set from a dealer.

Good job boys!

If you don't stand behind our troops, please, feel free to stand in front of them!
Old 16th June 2012
Been to Montana

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
LuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant future

Thanks Cosmo....I've received lots of help and generosity from this forum and from guys like you.

I am more than happy to "pay it forward"!
Old 17th June 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
edgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer View Post
Good for you guys....you both get Rep from me! Things like this remind me how great this forum is. Lux (and the other guys) who offered up their bars and Shu for not just taking them cause he could....but letting them go to someone else who may not be able to spend $$ on a set from a dealer.

Good job boys!

I really appreciate it, as the guy "who may not be able to spend $$ on a set from a dealer"... that's the truth. I have two daughters (6 and 10) who in the past month each had hospital visits, one with pneumonia and one that ended up with a surgery, and those bills just starting to roll in... naturally this is the year my workplace decided to cut our benefits in half and double our out of pocket costs. I all but wrote off anything for the bike this year besides gas in the tank, so this comes at a good time.
Know Thy Hog

Old 17th June 2012
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Heritage
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
Shu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to behold

Edge, I am so glad I could pass on the freebee's so they could go to you. I got mine put on today. No way would my brake line reach. I was able to barely get the throttle. Ables and the clutch cable to reach but had to replace the brake line. I ended up buying a Goodridge line and Russel 12mm upper and 10 mm lower banjo fittings. It took a 42 inch brake line. Probably could have gotten by with a 40 inch but the shop was out of that size. Maybe you will have better luck with the brake line though. I would post a picture but can't get it to upload from my iPhone to xlforum. I will post Monday from work.

GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
Screamin' Eagle 10:1 pistons
Stage 2 883 heads
Screamin' Eagle .497" cams
Screamin' Eagle Mikuni HSR42
Thunderheader
Forcewinder
Old 17th June 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
edgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu View Post
Edge, I am so glad I could pass on the freebee's so they could go to you. I got mine put on today. No way would my brake line reach. I was able to barely get the throttle. Ables and the clutch cable to reach but had to replace the brake line. I ended up buying a Goodridge line and Russel 12mm upper and 10 mm lower banjo fittings. It took a 42 inch brake line. Probably could have gotten by with a 40 inch but the shop was out of that size. Maybe you will have better luck with the brake line though. I would post a picture but can't get it to upload from my iPhone to xlforum. I will post Monday from work.
Please do post the pics, I am interested in seeing how they look on that riser.

I have no doubt I'll be OK with my stock brake line. I had these same bars on the bike when I got it last year, mine is an '06 Custom, so they were what was on it when I bought it. I put the drag bars I'm running now on over the Winter, and didn't ride as much as I should have before passing judgment... I saw someone post asking about stock bars and I sent mine to them, just like in this thread. I love how the drag bars look, but an old injury to my wrist is really bothering me with them, I think I am leaning forward and putting weight on my hands, I didn't have that problem when I had the stock bars. I'm going to get these stockers back on, ride for a couple weeks to make sure they are what I want (I am sure they are), and then play it forward with my drag and Sport bars, those grips I offered, and I think I still have some pegs in the garage.
Old 17th June 2012
Been to Montana

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
LuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant futureLuxBlue has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeofinsanity View Post
I really appreciate it, as the guy "who may not be able to spend $$ on a set from a dealer"... that's the truth. I have two daughters (6 and 10) who in the past month each had hospital visits, one with pneumonia and one that ended up with a surgery, and those bills just starting to roll in... naturally this is the year my workplace decided to cut our benefits in half and double our out of pocket costs. I all but wrote off anything for the bike this year besides gas in the tank, so this comes at a good time.
Well then, Happy Father's Day is in order to you and all other fathers on the forum!

As a father of two I hear ya about the doctor's bills....they seem to always come at a bad time so I'm very glad that I could pass on my bars to you!

This forum is great for things like this and I'm glad I'm a member both as a giver and a receiver.
Old 17th June 2012
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Heritage
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
Shu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to behold

well here is the finished picture. Sorry about the quality of the photo, used my iphone and there was a lot of back light.