The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum MOTOSPORT  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
black pearl (70), SDREDD (53), pig (51), BonRu (49), cbass (41), ssm7530 (39), SxysCowboy (31)
DK Customs
NHRS Performance
DK Customs
Motor Stage

Superbrace.com

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
jimbon52408 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default wheezing sound when kicking

Hi guys, im concerned about my bike. I bought it a couple months ago with a blown head gasket. The guy i bought it from told me that was all it needed to run. I have replaced both front and rear head gaskets and reinstalled the motor. ( i had to remove the whole motor because its actually a 73 motor in a 74 frame and it doesnt fit quite right so there is zero room between the rear rocker box nuts and the frame). I started putting accessories back on it tonight and got just about everything back together. Put the kicker on and kicked it over a couple times to see if the sucking/wheezing sound when you kick it over was gone. Its not. It sounds like the compression is leaking out inside the crankcase as i kick it over. I havent hooked up any electrical to try to start it yet. What could this noise be? Im new to this so for all i know it could be normal but it sure doesnt sound healthy. Any ideas? Thanks a lot
Old 18th June 2012
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
randy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to all

do you feel compression, when the pistons move down in the cylinders the crankcase vent "exhales" air from the crankcase, then you should also hear the carb intake the air charge into the cylinders, normal gasping noises hahahaha as long as you feel the obvious compression you're probably ok, if you hold pressure on the kicker you should hear the air escaping through the ring end gaps, kind of a hissing noise. Lots of breathing sounds there.
Old 18th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
jimbon52408 is an unknown quantity at this point

I definitely feel compression, although i dont have a compression tester to actually measure it. I weigh about 270 and i can get a good amount of my weight on the kicker before it swings through. Ill continue assembly this week. My factory service manual should be arriving soon and i plan to make sure the pushrods are adjusted right before i try to start it. Anything else i should check before trying to fire it? I have all new 50 weight oil and primary oil that i havent put in yet and my friend who knows a bit more about carbs than i do put a kit in mine and gave it a clean bill of health. Hopefully all is well there.
Old 18th June 2012
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
randy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to allrandy3934 is a name known to all

Here's the stickies list, you'll find a real nice video on how to set your pushrods, and ignition timing. plus about anything else you should need.