The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Cruiser Customizing  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Get Lowered
Superbrace
NHRS Performance
Motor Stage

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th June 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 70 XLH Ironhead SOLD
Other Motorcycle Model: 2007 Dyna Low
Joe Promedio is a glorious beacon of lightJoe Promedio is a glorious beacon of lightJoe Promedio is a glorious beacon of lightJoe Promedio is a glorious beacon of lightJoe Promedio is a glorious beacon of lightJoe Promedio is a glorious beacon of lightJoe Promedio is a glorious beacon of lightJoe Promedio is a glorious beacon of lightJoe Promedio is a glorious beacon of lightJoe Promedio is a glorious beacon of lightJoe Promedio is a glorious beacon of light

When you find out what it is, post it. That way anyone who has been having the same, or similar experience, will benefit from what you learned.
Thanks, Joe
Old 16th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHT
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
potatox2 is a jewel in the roughpotatox2 is a jewel in the roughpotatox2 is a jewel in the roughpotatox2 is a jewel in the roughpotatox2 is a jewel in the roughpotatox2 is a jewel in the roughpotatox2 is a jewel in the roughpotatox2 is a jewel in the roughpotatox2 is a jewel in the roughpotatox2 is a jewel in the roughpotatox2 is a jewel in the rough

If it sounds kind of like you have taken a wet finger and run it around the rim of a wine glass, then it may just be some brake noise.
Old 16th June 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

semjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to all

To rule out the front brake, pry the pads back into the caliper and ride the bike without using the front brake. That should at least change the sound and give you an idea if it is the front brakes.

SEMJPM
Old 16th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHT
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
potatox2 is a jewel in the roughpotatox2 is a jewel in the roughpotatox2 is a jewel in the roughpotatox2 is a jewel in the roughpotatox2 is a jewel in the roughpotatox2 is a jewel in the roughpotatox2 is a jewel in the roughpotatox2 is a jewel in the roughpotatox2 is a jewel in the roughpotatox2 is a jewel in the roughpotatox2 is a jewel in the rough

On my 77 Bonneville and 80 Honda 750, they would suggest bleeding the brakes every now and then with a shim between the pad and the rotor. The honda even came with a shim in the toolkit. Cannot remember the size.
Old 17th June 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
MacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to all

I was wondering the same thing about the belt to chain conversion, Years ago I had a metric with chain drive and it made a hugejass mess of the rear wheel from spraying chain lube on it. I was glad when the next metric bike I bought had shaft drive. I'm more than glad my Sportster has belt drive, in fact, I'm thrilled that the rear wheel stays so clean.
Know Thy Hog

Old 17th June 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
MacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to allMacSporty02 is a name known to all

Just sayin...
Old 18th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: Sprint 175SX
Other Motorcycle Year: 1973
Sportster1200C is an unknown quantity at this point

I plan on doing the conversion cause I want to eventually want to do a rigid with the old school look with the chain and all, I'm gonna try some of the suggestions with the front pads and have the front wheel trued to see if that makes any difference. It is a strange thing cause it went from riding home one night and everything being fine to this loud noise from the front end and I wasn't riding hard, no laying the bike over to hard in turns or anything just gradual cruising at 40 or 50 mph. I at first thought it was the wind cause it was about to storm but when I got to about 20mph with low wind and the clutch in you could still hear it.

I'll continue to update as I search for potential flaws that make this noise come about.
Old 20th June 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 883 Deluxe - sold now
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1986
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDWGi
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
CharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really niceCharlieB is just really nice

I had a noise... thought it was coming from the front brake... in fact, it was, just damned hard to find.

What mine was... was the !@#$@#$ anti rattle clip had come loose somehow. You'd look at the pads, fine. Braking effort and efficiency, fine. Noise. Just the clip.... mine lost spring temper and was more or less just a bendy piece of metal. New clip had lots of springy to it, and was a 5 minute fix.