The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Hammer Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Lighting
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
flashedwards (64), Reeky (62), feets (61), Eastern Shore XL (59), beeman07, Ironhead Zombie (43), pilot (40), Rik (40), joker13 (39), naturegirl77 (34), oliver81 (33), walkingblind
Ironworks Magazine
Figure Machine
Energy One Clutches
883 Sportster

RYCA Motors

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Hashish is a jewel in the roughHashish is a jewel in the roughHashish is a jewel in the roughHashish is a jewel in the roughHashish is a jewel in the roughHashish is a jewel in the roughHashish is a jewel in the roughHashish is a jewel in the roughHashish is a jewel in the roughHashish is a jewel in the roughHashish is a jewel in the rough
Default A quick Run/Brake/Turn Module Question

I did a search and couldn't find the answers I was looking for. I have a 2003 XLH883, and the turn signal module has started to go out. The right turn signals do not work at all. The switch on the bars send a +12v pulse to the TSM, but the TSM doesn't put out a signal to the lights. The left side signals work just fine. So my question is, does the TSM module work in conjunction with the HD Run/Brake/Turn module they offer for $60, or does the kit replace the TSM?
Old 21st June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Teehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant futureTeehaml has a brilliant future

The kit for my '07C just plugged into the harness under the seat. Didn't replace anything...
Old 21st June 2012
Biker

Hashish is a jewel in the roughHashish is a jewel in the roughHashish is a jewel in the roughHashish is a jewel in the roughHashish is a jewel in the roughHashish is a jewel in the roughHashish is a jewel in the roughHashish is a jewel in the roughHashish is a jewel in the roughHashish is a jewel in the roughHashish is a jewel in the rough

Alright then. I know the kits are different for the rigid sportys than they are for the rubbermounts. Does anyone know if they RBTM requires a fully functional TSM in order to function properly? (I would assume it does)
Old 21st June 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200N
Cosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashish View Post
So my question is, does the TSM module work in conjunction with the HD Run/Brake/Turn module they offer for $60, or does the kit replace the TSM?
No....the BTR module does not replace the TSM module. The turn signal module is what makes the turn signals "flash" and provide autocancel and other safety functions on newer sportys. All the BTR module does is take 3 different signals; the brake light, running light and turn signal and send those signals down a single wire. The BTR suppresses the brake signal while the turn signal is active for that particular side. It also provides 4-way emergency flasher functions.

So, yes, you need a working TSM.

If you don't stand behind our troops, please, feel free to stand in front of them!
Old 21st June 2012
Biker

Thanks Cosmo. What has happened with my TSM is my right side blinkers no longer function. I press the switch, and nothing happens, no indicator light, no nothing. I tested for 12v at the TSM and the switch was delivering, the TSM was not outputting. Yesterday, after I spent some time at work doing the diagnostic work on the TSM, I was riding home and randomly my right turn signal started to work, although it was cancelling fairly early. When I tested the harness at the TSM I tested in the pins for the TSM just to make sure it wasn't a wiring issue. Is it possible that some dielectric grease could help solve this issue, or do I just need to suck it up and buy a new TSM or start using handsignals from now on?
Know Thy Hog

Old 21st June 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200N
Cosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant futureCosmo Kramer has a brilliant future

Hash, it is hard to say what is going on with your TSM. How did you test the TSM output for the right signal?

One thing I would check is the connector going into the TSM. The brown wire is the right turn signal output....I would make sure that the pin is pushed fully into that connector. There have been some issues in the past with other connectors and the pins coming out just far enough to lose connectivity.

If it was me I would do some further tests before spending the $$...but that is just me. Intermittent issues are the hardest to find. The closer you can get to the TSM when checking the output the better you can determine if it is in fact the TSM that is the issue.
Old 22nd June 2012
Biker

While checking, I tested the white/brown wire at the pin in the connector to ensure that the TSM was getting the triggering 12v signal from the turn signal switch. As for the output, I tested by taking a slice of the wire sheathing out near the connector and hit the turn signal switch. To make sure I was understanding how the TSM was supposed to operate I performed the same tests on the fully functional left signal system, the white/violet and violet wires. I will double check the pin on the brown wire, as that makes sense to me. Thanks for the help Cosmo.