The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
BIKE BUILDER
Superbrace
Get Lowered
Energy One Clutches

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd June 2012
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Road King
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
BigRodney will become famous soon enoughBigRodney will become famous soon enoughBigRodney will become famous soon enoughBigRodney will become famous soon enoughBigRodney will become famous soon enoughBigRodney will become famous soon enough
Default Headlight and oil light question 1975

Well we got the bike running but the headlight and oil light donít work. We started to remove the headlight and in the process it worked. Turns out that if you push it in it turns on, what I think is happening is that the ground connection on the back of the bulb itself is hitting the case of the flasher unit and creating a ground so Iím thinking itís a grounding issue. What do you think, whereís this system grounded?

The oil light looks like it has a break in one of the wires insulation at the base of the plastic bulb holder and the wire doesnít look too good but I didnít take it out yet. Is that bulb replicable or do I need the whole plastic bulb holder thing?

Didnít have time to trouble shoot this last night so thatís all I know at the moment. Thanks for the help.
Old 22nd June 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Low/TTS/Gronked
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1975
2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice2007Low is just really nice

If I remember correctly, the headlamp ground wire is riveted to the headlamp bucket. The plug is a three prong unit, one side of the plug should have two white wires in it, the other side should have the ground wire in it and the middle of the plug should have a yellow wire it in.

I don't think you can relamp the oil light, probably have to get the whole unit.
Old 23rd June 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xls roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
nikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of lightnikki is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRodney View Post
Well we got the bike running but the headlight and oil light donít work. We started to remove the headlight and in the process it worked. Turns out that if you push it in it turns on, what I think is happening is that the ground connection on the back of the bulb itself is hitting the case of the flasher unit and creating a ground so Iím thinking itís a grounding issue. What do you think, whereís this system grounded?

The oil light looks like it has a break in one of the wires insulation at the base of the plastic bulb holder and the wire doesnít look too good but I didnít take it out yet. Is that bulb replicable or do I need the whole plastic bulb holder thing?

Didnít have time to trouble shoot this last night so thatís all I know at the moment. Thanks for the help.
the whole oil lamp unit need to be replaced as a unit . Nikki
Old 23rd June 2012
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Road King
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
BigRodney will become famous soon enoughBigRodney will become famous soon enoughBigRodney will become famous soon enoughBigRodney will become famous soon enoughBigRodney will become famous soon enoughBigRodney will become famous soon enough

Looks like I can get the oil light from the dealership for $10. Iíll follow up on the headlight issue. Thanks.