The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum GL Sportster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
truckmen (57), Scooter Trash (52), K2RMX.ROB (50), Milazzo (48), benny04hd (34), Foxman (34), Chase1126 (23)
Fix My Hog
DK Customs
Motor Stage
Superbrace.com

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd June 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: Panhead
Other Motorcycle Year: 1956
papadad is a name known to allpapadad is a name known to allpapadad is a name known to allpapadad is a name known to allpapadad is a name known to allpapadad is a name known to allpapadad is a name known to allpapadad is a name known to allpapadad is a name known to allpapadad is a name known to allpapadad is a name known to all
Default fuel injection cleaner

what do you recommend as for fuel injection cleaner? I am in USA for a few more days and can only get that stuff easily here, so I want to pick some up at Auto Zone to bring back with me.

So many choices, what brand do you recommend? I want the best.

(not an oil thread...but close I guess...sorry)
Old 22nd June 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
MRMIKEY32 is a name known to allMRMIKEY32 is a name known to allMRMIKEY32 is a name known to allMRMIKEY32 is a name known to allMRMIKEY32 is a name known to allMRMIKEY32 is a name known to allMRMIKEY32 is a name known to allMRMIKEY32 is a name known to allMRMIKEY32 is a name known to allMRMIKEY32 is a name known to allMRMIKEY32 is a name known to all

seafoam and lucas, but make sure you can bring it on the plane

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
Old 22nd June 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200Lr
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S3T
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: Guzzi V7 / 11 Ducati M696
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute

Yup if you need the stuff - SEAFOAM!
Old 22nd June 2012
Freedom Lover

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
WinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud of

I add some Lucas Fuel Additive to the odd fill up. Keeps her squeeky clean.
Old 22nd June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 low
andyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

The ONLY fuel cleaner that's worth a damn is called "Techron". it comes in a black bottle. here is some info on it. When I worked at a Cadillac - Rolls Royce dealer, per Rolls Royce, a bottle of Techron was to be put in the gas tank at every oil change. ALSO, GM has a BAD problem with their fuel gauges not working right & VERY MANY fuel senders were being replaced. they found out that the sulpher in the gas was coating the fuel senders causing them not to work right - so GM has a Technical Service Bullitin that states to 1st put in a bottle of Techron - it actually cleans the sulfer off the sending unit. i can vouch for it that is works. my wife has a 2007 1200 LOW & her fuel light works perfect - only comes on at 125 miles.
I ride a 2003 V-ROD, & on their forum, they also complain of the fuel gauges not working. - i used Techron & my gas gauge works perfect.
Know Thy Hog

Old 22nd June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200n
raoulduke is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a big believer in the stuff amsoil makes. Hot shot or quick shot or some BS.
Prob won't find it at autozone but I've never been a shop that sold amsoil oil and didn't sell that stuff too.

It's just as good as the other but formulated for bikes basic EFI funtion and also combats the all the havoc ethanol wreaks on tanks and fuel systems.

I like it.
Old 22nd June 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLH
Other Motorcycle Model: Panhead
Other Motorcycle Year: 1956
papadad is a name known to allpapadad is a name known to allpapadad is a name known to allpapadad is a name known to allpapadad is a name known to allpapadad is a name known to allpapadad is a name known to allpapadad is a name known to allpapadad is a name known to allpapadad is a name known to allpapadad is a name known to all
Default EFI injector cleaner - and cleaning injectors

Thanks, it seems TECHRON is what many are recommending, apparently it is actually the trade name for a chemical known as PET. I also got several saying SEAFOAM is great, but apparently more to clean the carbon from the engine than to specifically clean clogged injectors.

In china our gas is really crappy at best. I recently took apart my son's 125cc dirt bike to do some carb work and the gas contains so much other stuff that the carb was totally gummed up. Thus, i am sure that my injectors could use a good cleaning now too.

Is there a physical way to clean injectors, like throw them in an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner or something like that? Or is the chemical solvent method the best, ie, SEAFOAM, TECHRON etc?
Old 22nd June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 low
andyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

if the bike is running fine, then there's no need to remove the inj's.
buy some Techron - remember that 1 bottle is good for 15 gal's, so you can use 1 bottle for 4 fill ups. i went thru 1 bottle in my wife's Sporty & 1 bottle in my V-ROD & both bikes are stock - run awesome & fuel gauges work perfect
Old 22nd June 2012
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB350 Cafe Style
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
khaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud of

I use Seafoam in all my bikes. Keeps them running clean.

2006 883L
AN Big Sucker Stage 1
Rejetted Carb: Slow 45, Main 175
Vance & Hines Side Shots
Flat Track bars, 4" Joker Machine Risers
Joker Machine Speedo Mount
Speedway Instrument MicroTach
Mid Controls
Lepera Daytona Sport or Lepera Bare Bones Solo
Black Progressive 412 12.5" shocks
Progressive Fork Springs
Knock-off SE Fork Brace
Chopped Rear Fender
Custom Taillight

Ol' Greasy Karl of the Spirit Stalkers MC
Outlaw Name Generator

XLForum Business Card Template

BEFORE YOU CLIMB ON YOUR MOTORCYCLE, CHECK THAT THE NUT THAT CONNECTS THE HANDLEBAR TO THE SEAT IS NEITHER TOO TIGHT NOR TOO LOOSE.
Old 26th June 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron 883
frank b has a spectacular aura aboutfrank b has a spectacular aura aboutfrank b has a spectacular aura aboutfrank b has a spectacular aura aboutfrank b has a spectacular aura aboutfrank b has a spectacular aura aboutfrank b has a spectacular aura aboutfrank b has a spectacular aura aboutfrank b has a spectacular aura aboutfrank b has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb View Post
The ONLY fuel cleaner that's worth a damn is called "Techron". it comes in a black bottle. here is some info on it. When I worked at a Cadillac - Rolls Royce dealer, per Rolls Royce, a bottle of Techron was to be put in the gas tank at every oil change. ALSO, GM has a BAD problem with their fuel gauges not working right & VERY MANY fuel senders were being replaced. they found out that the sulpher in the gas was coating the fuel senders causing them not to work right - so GM has a Technical Service Bullitin that states to 1st put in a bottle of Techron - it actually cleans the sulfer off the sending unit. i can vouch for it that is works. my wife has a 2007 1200 LOW & her fuel light works perfect - only comes on at 125 miles.
I ride a 2003 V-ROD, & on their forum, they also complain of the fuel gauges not working. - i used Techron & my gas gauge works perfect.
+1

When I was an assist. manager at a Napa store, we sold Techron and Seafoam more than any other. The Seafoam was more for bringing something out of storage or removing the carbon from the engine.
Know Thy Hog