The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006) This area is to discuss issues, problems and anything else unique to the 2004 and above Sportster motorcycles

Members Birthdays
patc, Camera108 (61), pbudrovic (59), gene04 (57), guvnor (50), jrogers329 (44), ksoggs (39), dmurphy68 (37)
Lickscycles
Get Lowered
Speedway Instruments
Licks Cycles

CV Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th June 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
morvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud of
Default Planning a rebuild this winter

I have a few issues with my 2004 XL1200R and plan to iron them all out with a comprehensive rebuild in the coming winter. Frame needs powder coating, jiffy stand bushes are worn and mounting corroded, starter clutch needs replacing, tyres need replacing, I want to polish the fork stanchions and the triple tree, fork seals could do with changing, will need new rear pads by then, front brake lines got a caution at the annual test so need replacing etc. etc.

As I spent most of last years summer running season sorting out various problems one by one, had the exhaust off three times, spending a small fortune on gaskets in the process it seems sensible to do it all in one hit, particularly as I have decided I want to keep it. Yes I know as soon as it is back together I will buy a new one, but that is my problem.

So I have read the rebuild stories, seen pictures of many owners garages that would put my Indy to shame, but do not really have much idea of the true magnitude of the task. I am an experienced wrencher but not on Sportsters. How long does it take (hours) to get to a bare frame and would you suggest I remove the obvious major sub-assemblies (triple tree and forks, engine, etc.) so I have reference points on which to focus my work or go for a total tear down? I plan to replace all wear parts during the rebuild (rubber mounts, head bearings, swinging arm bearings, rebuild callipers any corroded/worn bolts etc.) is there anything else which should get my attention whilst it is disassembled? I do not plan to touch the engine, except for a new starter motor or clutch. Whilst on that subject any opinion on either replacing the starter clutch with a HD replacement part, an All Balls clutch, or All Balls or Twin Power replacement starter motor?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Coming soon:

2004 XL1200 R

Cylinder Head Work including:
1.900 intake 7MM 4.425 SG
1.615 Exhaust 7MM 4.651 SG

7MM Beehive Spring 600 Lift
Striker Performance 7MM Valve Spring Kit

HP 3563 30D76 3.563 30 Degree Piston with Reverse Dome, 76 CC Chamber

XL/ Buell 1250 kit, Black With Highlighted Fins
04/Buell XB Intake 10.676x.065x3/8 (-.050)
04/Buell XB Exhaust 10.730x.065x3/8 (-.050)

XL 560 lift Impact hammer Performance Cam Set

V & H Competition Series 2 into 1 Exhaust, 04-12 Xl models

Twin Tec Adjustable Ignition Module, 04-06 Sportster/Twin cam single 12 pin

1991 to Present Sportster (XL) - Energy One Extra Plate Clutch Kit
Old 4th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
lynched1 is just really nicelynched1 is just really nicelynched1 is just really nicelynched1 is just really nicelynched1 is just really nicelynched1 is just really nicelynched1 is just really nicelynched1 is just really nicelynched1 is just really nicelynched1 is just really nicelynched1 is just really nice

I would suggest some tackle boxes to store nuts and bolts. Use some tape or drop in pieces of paper to label the bins / compartments.
I'm in the middle of restoring my 72 Torino and I found that piece of advice to be priceless.
Old 5th June 2012
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: buellster
Sportster/Buell Year: 92
xlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to allxlron is a name known to all

If your'e powder coating the frame? You must tear down "all the way". about 4 hours, and lots of blue painters tape & a sharpie to i>d everything thats comes off. no biggie. Then tape off the bearing houseings everywhere before taking to the powdercoater. And if you don't have the manual, get it, cause you will forget something along the way. Have fun bo.
Old 22nd June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: looking
Sportster/Buell Year: any
Collinspc is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlron View Post
If your'e powder coating the frame? You must tear down "all the way". about 4 hours, and lots of blue painters tape & a sharpie to i>d everything thats comes off. no biggie. Then tape off the bearing houseings everywhere before taking to the powdercoater. And if you don't have the manual, get it, cause you will forget something along the way. Have fun bo.
Let the coater tape or plug everything. Mark what needs to be covered or protected and the coater will use heat resistant tape, plugs or covers. Cost of masking is usually included unless it is a big masking job.
Old 22nd June 2012
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I would suggest some tackle boxes to store nuts and bolts.
I put all the fasteners back in the parts where they belong.

I tape my parts with masking tape, take photos and give my power coater detailed written instructions and he does a perfect job not coating what I don't want coated.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Know Thy Hog

Old 26th June 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
morvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud of

Thanks Guys, really useful info. When powder coating the frame do I mask off the VIN number plate and other HD markings which identify the bike? The areas around the various markings are in A1 condition so it would not impact on the overall appearance of the finished job.