The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum GL Sportster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
RYCA Motors
Licks Cycles
Speedway Instruments
CV Performance

Speedway Instruments

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell X1 Lightning
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
XLeration is a glorious beacon of lightXLeration is a glorious beacon of lightXLeration is a glorious beacon of lightXLeration is a glorious beacon of lightXLeration is a glorious beacon of lightXLeration is a glorious beacon of lightXLeration is a glorious beacon of lightXLeration is a glorious beacon of lightXLeration is a glorious beacon of lightXLeration is a glorious beacon of lightXLeration is a glorious beacon of light
Default Non-vented to Vented Gas Tank Conversion?

I didn't find anything on a search (could be sleep deprivation), and I'm not sure if this should be here (fuel tank section) or the chopper/bobber section, but here goes...

I have a '96 Sporty (with a vented cap setup), and just picked up an older tank (not sure if it's from an early Evo or an Ironhead) that's not vented. Is there an easy way to convert the tank to a vented setup? I'm not worried about cutting and welding, and figured the bung itself has to be changed over to the screw-in style, and I'll probably have to install a standpipe in the tank, but I'm not completely sure how the standpipe needs to be routed in the tank. Am I right in thinking that it goes from inside the filler bung down to the hose barb at the bottom back of the tank? Is there anything else I need to do besides making these two changes?

I'm probably going to cut the tunnel out of the tank with the trusty plasma cutter to add a (very) small amount to the capacity to go with a Frisco conversion, so adding the standpipe and changing the bung won't really be that much more to do. Any help you could provide though would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Nick