The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum NRHS PERFORMANCE 1  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Lighting
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
DRAWTOOL (64), svoracer (61), curly h (60), mosby (57), barry1967 (47), BiggyJ (47), the_MAD_Baker (46), deadeye (41), SharkMDick (39), bdbecker (31)
Lowbrow Customs
NHRS Performance
CV Performance
Progressive Suspension

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th June 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
daveatbenson will become famous soon enoughdaveatbenson will become famous soon enoughdaveatbenson will become famous soon enoughdaveatbenson will become famous soon enoughdaveatbenson will become famous soon enoughdaveatbenson will become famous soon enoughdaveatbenson will become famous soon enough
Default 96 sportster tail light brake light problem

I cant seem to find a good LED brake/tail light for my rigid, i blow out regular bulbs from the vibration , i currently have an 1157r led bulb in there now,but it doesnt light up my license tag at all,since it shines straight back,and no light really hits the tag area,i am worried about getting stopped for it
i want an led light but nobody seems to carry one for a 96,they are all selling 99 and up,whats the difference?,can i make it work?,or is there an actual
true led setup with tag,brake and tail light that still looks factory?
i want to keep a stock look,not clear or smoked,layback would be ok if thats all i can get.
Old 27th June 2012
HeWhoMakesThunder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh883/1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
norseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant futurenorseXL has a brilliant future

There are 1157 LED bulbs available who has small white LEDs at the base to shine on the plate.

Sir Harry R. Ricardo
Old 27th June 2012
Biker

daveatbenson will become famous soon enoughdaveatbenson will become famous soon enoughdaveatbenson will become famous soon enoughdaveatbenson will become famous soon enoughdaveatbenson will become famous soon enoughdaveatbenson will become famous soon enoughdaveatbenson will become famous soon enough

I canot find them anywhere,i and am not wanting to pay 50 bucks for a bulb,i would like to get the whole assembly,lens mount and all
Old 27th June 2012
Freedom Lover

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
WinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud of

This seems to be an option for you. It says '73 to '98. And, it should plug in directly.

I'd contact them. They were extremely helpful and responsive. I was impressed with their service. They even saved me some money for options I didn't need.

http://www.customdynamics.com/street...taillights.htm

http://www.customdynamics.com/Images/gen-136.jpg
Old 27th June 2012
Freedom Lover

WinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud of

Converting to LED will cost you.
I, personally, bought a laydown LED tail light with license window (didn't have the amp plug - found that for 5$). It cost me 55$ + shipping on eBay.
I've seen cheaper since.
Know Thy Hog

Old 27th June 2012
Biker

thats what i am talking about Winterwheel,i want to do something like that,
my question is ,does the lens have to be for my 96 or so yr range or do the 99 and up still bolt up?
Old 27th June 2012
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
LoadedDiablo is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm running LED bolts on my license plate mount...they aren't the brightest but they do get the job done. For the Brake light I just mounted a LED strip up under the rear fender...It works very well. I believe there are some pics in my gallery.
Old 27th June 2012
Freedom Lover

Can't say for sure. Someone else may be able to confirm this.
However, 12V is pretty standard. Right?
I think the standard connection is:

White = Running Light +12V
Red = Brake Light
Blue = License tag (I tie mine to the white for +12V)
Black = Ground

I've observed that laydowns are very similar across models. My friend has a '76 Police Bike. The tail light (to my untrained eye) is very similar. The license window varies in size, top or bottom or is not present at all (depends on models). However, they all seem to be pretty close in fit.

Here's a quick search on eBay:

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=...All-Categories

This one was a search on 1996 specificly:
http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_nkw=l....c0.m270.l1313
Old 28th June 2012
Biker

thanks for your help,yes, i dont want to spend 150 bucks for a new setup,but i would definetely make one ,i am not scared to cut and splice wires,just want it to still bolt on my fender like the stock one does