The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Bike Bandit  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER & BUELL MOTORCYCLE RACING > Sportster & Buell Motorcycle Racing
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster & Buell Motorcycle Racing Talk about racing your Sportster motorcycle and/or Buell motorcycle.

Members Birthdays
Superbrace
Motor Stage
Bison Motorsports
Lickscycles

Sky Smith Insurance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
steelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Beverly Hills Board Track Racing (1921)

Found this cool little film from the National Film Preservation Foundation (may take a while to load). It's a pity they hadn't yet invented the talkies, because this must have sounded awesome!

Albert "Shrimp" Burns falls off at 107mph in the 25 mile race, then "escapes from hospital, swathed in bandages and full of splinters" to win the 15 mile race for Indian at an average of 102.6mph. These were obviously not girls' bikes.

http://www.filmpreservation.org/pres...ck-racing-1921

There's an interesting web article on early American motorcycle racing here.
Old 28th June 2012
Whitworth Products

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting that. So, 8 valve? I wasn't aware that they had anything running 4 valves per jug back then. I would like to see those engines up close. Although the Indian wasn't an 8 valve and it won, so I guess the technology wasn't perfected yet. I suppose if the 8 valve was a flathead it would have had lower compression.

Whitworth Fork Brace: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/m...outme&simple=1

Old 28th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

steelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond repute

I think the eight valve Indians were ohv, but reading a bit of the article I linked to, it seems they then they produced the Power Plus side valve, based on an ohv Peugeot design, and using more roller bearings (instead of bushes, I guess) which eventually produced more power.

Last edited by steelworker; 2nd July 2012 at 14:43.. Reason: typo
Old 29th June 2012
Whitworth Products

wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I gotta read now?

OK, when I get back and have a few minutes I am gonna read that link.

It caught my attention because back in 94 when we were running a Jawa I had that bike keeping up with the 4 valve Jawa's in the rookie division (probably more to do with the rider than engine, but I have been curious about the gains).
Old 29th June 2012
Boat Drinks

Sportster/Buell Model: sportsterR
Sportster/Buell Year: 2105
Other Motorcycle Model: 82 1000sz katana
Other Motorcycle Year: abov
Ireeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelworker View Post
I think the eight valve Indians were ohv, but reading a bit of the aryicle I linked to, it seems they then they produced the Power Plus side valve, based on an ohv Peugeot design, and using more roller bearings (instead of bushes, I guess) which eventually produced more power.
Word has it, that Myles was in the pits sporting a fresh pork pie hat and hob nailed boots.

You must be shocked at the advancement in technology....it must be such a relief not hand cranking the car every morning.

Old 29th June 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLC 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Rickyrocket is a jewel in the roughRickyrocket is a jewel in the roughRickyrocket is a jewel in the roughRickyrocket is a jewel in the roughRickyrocket is a jewel in the roughRickyrocket is a jewel in the roughRickyrocket is a jewel in the roughRickyrocket is a jewel in the roughRickyrocket is a jewel in the roughRickyrocket is a jewel in the roughRickyrocket is a jewel in the rough

Those guys had some serious balls
Old 29th June 2012
Whitworth Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyrocket View Post
Those guys had some serious balls
They couldn't loose em, held on with splinters.
Old 29th June 2012
Whitworth Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireeman View Post
Word has it, that Myles was in the pits sporting a fresh pork pie hat and hob nailed boots.

You must be shocked at the advancement in technology....it must be such a relief not hand cranking the car every morning.

Dunno bout that, I think some of us would gladly crank the car by hand to get back to $.04 a gal gas. Heck, I would get a kick only bike too.

Wadaya think Miles?
Old 13th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
Dunno bout that, I think some of us would gladly crank the car by hand to get back to $.04 a gal gas. Heck, I would get a kick only bike too.

Wadaya think Miles?
I'd be happy if gas went under ú1 a litre!!

ps: I have worn hobnailed boots before, but never a pork pie hat - that's a Mod thing, not a Rocker thing.

And yes, I think I'd have enjoyed living in those pioneer times. Talk about cojones grandes - that rider stepped off at over the ton and practically got frog-marched back to the pits by the steward.
Old 13th July 2012
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB350 Cafe Style
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
khaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud of

I saw this posted on the web last week and took a ride to Beverly Hills to look for the address.

Just a bunch of hotels and businesses. No mention of the Speedway anywhere.

2006 883L
AN Big Sucker Stage 1
Rejetted Carb: Slow 45, Main 175
Vance & Hines Side Shots
Flat Track bars, 4" Joker Machine Risers
Joker Machine Speedo Mount
Speedway Instrument MicroTach
Mid Controls
Lepera Daytona Sport or Lepera Bare Bones Solo
Black Progressive 412 12.5" shocks
Progressive Fork Springs
Knock-off SE Fork Brace
Chopped Rear Fender
Custom Taillight

Ol' Greasy Karl of the Spirit Stalkers MC
Outlaw Name Generator

XLForum Business Card Template

BEFORE YOU CLIMB ON YOUR MOTORCYCLE, CHECK THAT THE NUT THAT CONNECTS THE HANDLEBAR TO THE SEAT IS NEITHER TOO TIGHT NOR TOO LOOSE.
Know Thy Hog