The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Lighting
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
ledbelly (61), sportrod (61), pjcav (47), jgaither (46), naru (42), eberky (38), Paulie420 (35), 83xls
Zippers Performance
NHRS Performance
DK Customs
Get Lowered

Get Lowered

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200n
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
nightsterfire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default led tail light wiring for nightster

I have a Nightster and purchased some alloy art strut mount turn signals. After I started working on the bike I noticed that the stock lights have 3 wires but the strut mount led lights are only 2 wire. Anybody have any idea on how to install these lights.
Old 11th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Cosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond repute

If the new turn signals you bought are running g / brake / turn signal and not just turn signals than the light is grounded to the light's housing like most aftermarket lights with one wire for the turn signal and brake light power and the other for the running light. Sometimes mounting is all you need to get a good ground to the frame although I always recommend running the ground wire to the mounting bolt.

If the new lights are just turn signals.....then the wires are ground and power for the turn signal. If this is the case.....to get them working correctly you need a different brake/turn/run module for a standard sportster that they sell at HD for $60.

If you don't stand behind our troops, please, feel free to stand in front of them!
Old 11th July 2012
Freedom Lover

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
WinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud of

Or, optionally, from Custom Dynamics...

http://www.customdynamics.com/Images...Catalog-48.jpg

http://www.customdynamics.com/loadequalizer.htm
Old 11th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200n
nightsterfire is an unknown quantity at this point

being the led lights are only a 2 wire light will they be able to work as a run brake and signal light or just signal and brake
Old 11th July 2012
Freedom Lover

WinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud ofWinterWheel has much to be proud of

Short answer. I don't think you'll get more than turn signals.

Longer answer.

If you only have 2 wires and one of them is not ground (generally, black), then you may have 2 modes. If so, my guess is that it would be running lights. But, that's just a guess.

It is more likely that it is flasher (turn signal) only.

Rear Flashers vary: (Flasher only)
For 2-wire setups (each side)
Violet - Flasher
Black - Ground

For 3-Wire setups (each side) (Flasher and Running Light)
Violet - Flasher
Blue - Running
Black - Ground

For 4-Wire setups (each side) (Flasher, Running Light and Brake)
Violet - Flasher
Red - Brake
Black - Ground
Green - Running

When using LEDs, you need some king of load balancing to compensate for the lower power draw. It can be as simple as a resistor or a unit that plugs inline with the harness (usually installed under the seat)

Note: When replacing incandescent bulbs with LED, pay attention to polarity. Bulbs are not polarity-sensitive.
Know Thy Hog

Old 11th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Cosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWheel View Post
For 3-Wire setups (each side) (Flasher and Running Light)
Violet - Flasher
Blue - Running
Black - Ground
That is true for the front turn signals but your 2010 Nightster has these same three wires and you have turn signals, brake and running light at the rear of the bike (assuming it is not an international model). The Nightster / Iron / 72 BTR (Brake / Turn / Run) module does the job of allowing the brake light and turn signal power to travel down the same wire (violet in this case).

Quote:
When using LEDs, you need some king of load balancing to compensate for the lower power draw.
Not true on 07'+ sportsters.

1). If you are running just rear or front leds the turn signal module can be tricked so they blink normally. There is a thread showing how to do this. 2). If you are running front and rear leds, mini bullet lights or anything that draws less amps than the stock bulbs your turn signals WILL flash. Now they will flash normal for the first 2 or 3 flashes and then it flashes faster. I run my nightster this way and actually prefer the little extra attention it gets.

Last edited by Cosmo Kramer; 11th July 2012 at 21:36..
Old 11th July 2012
Freedom Lover

I stand corrected on the issue of load balancing with LEDs.
However, my 2010 Nightster (Canadian) only had turn capability. 2-wires only.
There are several rear options depending models and locales, of course. But it is definitely turn-only.
I had to run and tap into brake & running wires on tail light.
It was a learning experience....
But, we digress.
If he can set it up, as you have stated,cool. I'll check out the thread. I'm azsuming it uses some type of relay?

My fronts are direct replacement for the bulbs. Super easy and cool.

Sent from my BlackBerry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
Old 11th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
However, my 2010 Nightster (Canadian) only had turn capability.

I am with you WW....that is why I said the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer View Post
That is true for the front turn signals but your 2010 Nightster has these same three wires and you have turn signals, brake and running light at the rear of the bike (assuming it is not an international model).
International to me includes Canada! ;-)
Old 27th December 2013
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Bravo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Only Turn Signals for the Strut Lights

I also went with Alloy Strut turn signal light and only want them to work as a flash, not has running and brake lights. If this is my interest and I have the violet wire that supplies me with both flash and brake light, what module would I have to use to separate the flash and break light? Also where do I connect this module?

Cosmo when you said:
"If the new lights are just turn signals.....then the wires are ground and power for the turn signal. If this is the case.....to get them working correctly you need a different brake/turn/run module for a standard sportster that they sell at HD for $60."

would you happen to know that part number?

Thanks in advance Cosmo!