The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Licks Tanklift  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Get Lowered
883 Sportster
Ironworks Magazine
Energy One Clutches

Progressive Suspension

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th July 2012
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 2005 883R
maurino17 is a name known to allmaurino17 is a name known to allmaurino17 is a name known to allmaurino17 is a name known to allmaurino17 is a name known to allmaurino17 is a name known to allmaurino17 is a name known to allmaurino17 is a name known to allmaurino17 is a name known to allmaurino17 is a name known to allmaurino17 is a name known to all
Default Fender compatibility?

Hey everyone,

I am starting to watch ebay for used fenders. I want to switch the orange front and rear fenders on my 2005 883r for black fenders.

What years can I buy that will be compatible? My bike is carb if that makes any difference.

Are all narrow glide front ends compatible, including dynas, and the nightster?

Are rears 2004 to present compatible for my 2005?

Thanks

PS I always wondered do all sportsters 2004 and later have the same frame and just different suspension and seats etc to make their ride different?
Old 15th July 2012
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N (Sold)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: Versys
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
motorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurino17 View Post
do all sportsters 2004 and later have the same frame and just different suspension and seats etc to make their ride different?
Pretty much. But the rear fender can be tricky. 07-09 had a large cut out for the ECM to mount. Where as 10+ eliminated this as the ECM was mounted behind the rear cylinder. Keep this in mind when choosing a fender as the hole really dampens the look of some spring solo seats. The frames are the same, so I would imagine the mounts would be.
Surely, someone with definitive advice will chime in soon.
Old 15th July 2012

motorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud of

Oh, and remember you kinda have to stay with nightsters and irons with the front fender. The 48's and superlows (midglides) run a different front fender as yours as well as any model with a 21" front tire. Basically just make sure the front is a narrow glide and a 19" tire for fender compatibility.
Old 15th July 2012
Chief Know It All

maurino17 is a name known to allmaurino17 is a name known to allmaurino17 is a name known to allmaurino17 is a name known to allmaurino17 is a name known to allmaurino17 is a name known to allmaurino17 is a name known to allmaurino17 is a name known to allmaurino17 is a name known to allmaurino17 is a name known to allmaurino17 is a name known to all

thanks motorend. . that was the only info I found when searching. . . is the ECM the computer?

I'll never be mounting a spring solo so that won't be an issue.

Where is the ECM on my 2005?
Old 15th July 2012

Yeah the ECM is the computer for fuel injected models, 07+. I believe you have an ICM located under your rider seat. Can't give details on it as I don't have a carb model. But I would imagine you would be OK on switching the rear. Personally I would avoid 07-09 so you don't have that hole.
Give it time you will get other responses.
Know Thy Hog

Old 15th July 2012
Chief Know It All

also meant to ask are all narrow glide front fenders from all bikes and years the same? They appear to be.