The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum MOTOSPORT  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive Transmission, Clutch and primary or secondary drive problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Wardog (65), ZeD (62), JamieSporty95 (42), JStrong (37), llsmketr, Phelan (29)
DK Customs
Progressive Suspension
RYCA Motors
NRHS Performance Long 2

Energy One Clutches
Tags
jp2code, shifter drum

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th July 2012
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XR1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Honda VF750C Manga
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki ZX9-R Ninja
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
jp2code is a jewel in the roughjp2code is a jewel in the roughjp2code is a jewel in the roughjp2code is a jewel in the roughjp2code is a jewel in the roughjp2code is a jewel in the roughjp2code is a jewel in the roughjp2code is a jewel in the roughjp2code is a jewel in the roughjp2code is a jewel in the roughjp2code is a jewel in the rough
Default Shifter Drum at 12 o'clock

So, I bent my shifter shaft when I had a drop in the parking lot a few months back. I never really noticed it until I started noticing shifts not happening when I tried going through the gears.

Found the parts I needed with Ronnie's microfiche, then ordered them up.

Turns out, this cap screw got pretty messed up, too. The side walls have collapsed into the area where the Allen wrench goes, so I can't get it off. My Vice Grips just slip when I try to twist this off using that. Anyone with helpful tips, feel free to throw them in!

Sure enough, the shifter shaft is bent.

Used an end wrench to hold the gears in place while busting that Sprocket Nut loose.

I take the Engine Sprocket/Clutch/Chain assembly off so I can get to the shifter shaft.

I pulled the old shifter shaft out and now I am ready to replace it with the new shifter shaft.

Notice this mark on the drum:

Seemed to me like the 2009 Service Manual made it a point to show that the Shifter Drum is supposed to be at 12 o'clock, so I checked:

Yeap. Figure 5-54 on Page 5-38 clearly states, "Scribed Line on Shifter Drum at 12 o'clock".

Mine is not at 12 o'clock. Mine is closer to 3 o'clock.

The Service Manual makes no further mention of this scribed line.

Is the scribed line for when the case is opened?

What is this scribed line for? My transmission is in neutral now. Does the scribed line indicate neutral?

Was my line scribed incorrectly at manufacture (it has never been apart) or could something inside be pulled out of line?

If it is scribed incorrectly, I don't care.

If something inside is pulled out of place, I need to know about it now while I have part of the transmission open and before I button this thing back up.

Someone let me know, please.
Old 14th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

F.W.I.W. if just replacing the shifter pawl assembly, you need not pull the stator/rotor. By sliding the clutch basket forward a small amount you can slip the new assembly in and button it up. I'm with you by going deeper and to make sure that additional damage hasn't been done. The scribed mark was something we did when splitting my cases. It was not there from the factory! It is something I would address with your dealer or H.D. direct. This may be something done after '06,(which is what mine is).
Oh, and if you do open up the cases the "special alignment tool" called for on the detent arm appears to be a 9/16-18 bolt, 11/16" deep. I'm getting ready to put mine back together this weekend and will keep you advised. The tool runs in excess of $20.00. We picked up a bolt at "Fastenal" for $2.00, 2" long and will set a nut at 11/16 depth.
I.B.A.#26543, Old age and treachery ALWAYS overcome youth and skill! ******** Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they grow old because they quit playing
Old 14th July 2012
Master Mechanic

jp2code is a jewel in the roughjp2code is a jewel in the roughjp2code is a jewel in the roughjp2code is a jewel in the roughjp2code is a jewel in the roughjp2code is a jewel in the roughjp2code is a jewel in the roughjp2code is a jewel in the roughjp2code is a jewel in the roughjp2code is a jewel in the roughjp2code is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Paul.

I just left The Harley Shop. My mechanic there said to just make note of where the mark was on my tranny IF I were going to pull the case apart ...so that I'd be able to line things back up correctly for reassembly.

Luckily, that means I don't need to go in there.

Thank God!
Old 14th July 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

semjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to all

That stripped screw head should be drilled out and then replaced. If you use a left turning drill bit you might get lucky and have it unscrew while drilling. Probably has some locktite on it.

Regarding the shaft mark, does the manual state which gear is engaged when the mark is at 12 o-clock?

SEMJPM
Old 14th July 2012
Master Mechanic

Manual states it is in NEUTRAL and my tranny is also in NEUTRAL.

Service Manager said the mark is just to reference where the drum is for reinstallation, though. He said (if I were to disassemble the tranny) make note of where it is and ensure it is in the same position on reassembly.
Know Thy Hog

Old 15th July 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200X Turbo 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200 Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2008
Turbo Sporty 48 has disabled reputation
Default Crash Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2xr View Post
So, I bent my shifter shaft when I had a drop in the parking lot a few months back. I never really noticed it until I started noticing shifts not happening when I tried going through the gears..
JP,
Have you considered crash bars, the pc wording is engine guards?
The son and I both dropped my then new bike twice in a week, very expensive.
I know XR guys hang it all out but I think even the ricers have guards of a sort.
Old 15th July 2012
Master Mechanic

Oh, I've got that EvoTech crash bar on there. It got scrubbed on, too, but the shifter shaft still bent.

WTF, right?
Old 15th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

F.W.I.W., the H.D. adjustable highway pegs are solid steel and have to offer more lower protection than engine guard "tubes", you can buy aftermarket copies for half price.