The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Figure Machine  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Licks Holiday
S&S Cycle
S&S Cycle
Lowbrow Customs

Fix My Hog

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: LX1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
GlockDoc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anybody in NW Ohio own a 1200 Sporty

Looking for others who own Sportys in NW Ohio to get together so I can compare your bike to mine.
I have a 2011 XL1200C and I think the engine is excessively noisy the dealer said it is normal. But I would like to compare my bike to other Sportsters before I start pressing the issue.
I know these engines are noisy, but the only way I can ride it and enjoy it is by wearing ear plugs
I just can't imagine that a company like Harley could find this kind of mechanic noise acceptable on a production motorcycle.
Any way just like to check out a couple other Sportys to make sure.
Thanks
Old 15th July 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883-1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Hogwylde has a brilliant futureHogwylde has a brilliant futureHogwylde has a brilliant futureHogwylde has a brilliant futureHogwylde has a brilliant futureHogwylde has a brilliant futureHogwylde has a brilliant futureHogwylde has a brilliant futureHogwylde has a brilliant futureHogwylde has a brilliant futureHogwylde has a brilliant future

They are noisy by nature. Change helmets or remove your helmet and you'll notice the noise/pitch changes, but if you want to compare bikes just go to the dealership and fire another one up.
Old 15th July 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: A barn full of bikes
stocker883l has a reputation beyond reputestocker883l has a reputation beyond reputestocker883l has a reputation beyond reputestocker883l has a reputation beyond reputestocker883l has a reputation beyond reputestocker883l has a reputation beyond reputestocker883l has a reputation beyond reputestocker883l has a reputation beyond reputestocker883l has a reputation beyond reputestocker883l has a reputation beyond reputestocker883l has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, the dealer didn't feed you any bull. Sportsters make all sorts of wonderful noises. When it stops making those noises, then you have a problem. You think your bike is noisy, you should hear my 69 FLH, it sounds like it's ready to come apart. If you wanted a quiet bike you bought the wrong one. Just enjoy it and ride the h*ll out of it.
Old 15th July 2012
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883-1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Hogwylde has a brilliant futureHogwylde has a brilliant futureHogwylde has a brilliant futureHogwylde has a brilliant futureHogwylde has a brilliant futureHogwylde has a brilliant futureHogwylde has a brilliant futureHogwylde has a brilliant futureHogwylde has a brilliant futureHogwylde has a brilliant futureHogwylde has a brilliant future

And you'll probably find that no two bikes sound the same.....albeit they will be noisy.
Old 15th July 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
edgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really niceedgeofinsanity is just really nice

Do you have a windshield? I have a detachable one, and found that when the shield is on, I hear a lot more of the engine noise.
Know Thy Hog

Old 16th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: LX1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
GlockDoc is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeofinsanity View Post
Do you have a windshield? I have a detachable one, and found that when the shield is on, I hear a lot more of the engine noise.
Yep in fact I don't like the windshield on my Sportster. Just too much damn noise.
Old 16th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
ridinfool is a glorious beacon of lightridinfool is a glorious beacon of lightridinfool is a glorious beacon of lightridinfool is a glorious beacon of lightridinfool is a glorious beacon of lightridinfool is a glorious beacon of lightridinfool is a glorious beacon of lightridinfool is a glorious beacon of lightridinfool is a glorious beacon of lightridinfool is a glorious beacon of lightridinfool is a glorious beacon of light

I have an 07 1200c and it's a bitchy little babe....like hoggy said...they are all noisy. If your close to Canton someday...let me know...we'll get together at QSL for bike night...my buddy also has a 2010 1200L...

If you feel right about something, than go for it...if you go for it, then you feel right
Eat...Poop...Play.....Sleep....Repeat....