The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Accessories
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Accessories Accessory problems, advice, and/or how tos (Saddle Bags, Sissy Bars, Crash bars, Mirrors, etc

Members Birthdays
Get Lowered
Licks Cycles
Superbrace
Licks Holiday

Zippers Performance
Tags
iron 883, tacho, tachometer

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2012
jcp888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tacho for 2012 Iron 883

Hi,

I'm looking to install a tacho on my 2012 Iron 883. Not sure whether I should install the standard Harley Davidson tacho for Sporsters # 67182-07 which I believe requires # 56115-95 handlebar clamp or get something else like the Koso tacho.

I'd greatly appreciate the thoughts of others on the matter.

Cheers

jcp888
Old 15th July 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL77.2R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
rejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant future

Ever consider installing a Power Vision instead of an expensive OEM tacho. You will have control of your ignition, advance, AFR and much more. If you do an AC and exhaust change you will be equip to handle the new add on.
Old 16th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2012
jcp888 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi rejeanprimeau,

i would consider it although i'd like to keep the authentic look and analogue styling of the iron 883.

any other ideas?

cheers
Old 16th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
AustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud of

I used the two parts you're talking about, the tach and the clamp, heres a pic from behind to show what it looks like, sorry I dont have a closer pic. The install is fairly easy and it looks good I think.

Old 16th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

AustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud of

Welcome to the forum as well Jcp888! Didn't notice this was your first post.
Know Thy Hog

Old 16th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: iron883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
1iron1 is a glorious beacon of light1iron1 is a glorious beacon of light1iron1 is a glorious beacon of light1iron1 is a glorious beacon of light1iron1 is a glorious beacon of light1iron1 is a glorious beacon of light1iron1 is a glorious beacon of light1iron1 is a glorious beacon of light1iron1 is a glorious beacon of light1iron1 is a glorious beacon of light1iron1 is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to the forum!

I have a PowerVision. Thanks to the XLF'ers, I tuned my 2011 iron after pipes/intake. I am totally spoiled now as I have been running it with tach display and tons of other fun stuff to monitor and display.

Two problems I have with PV after tune is complete. One, it is NOT waterproof. I raced the rain home yesterday (again) fearing I would ruin a $500 tuner.Secondly, I don't like extra "clutter" on my bars.

I ordered a Micro-Tach that should arrive today or tomorrow. I'll let you know how I like it.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act; rather, a habit." - Aristotle
Old 16th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

I wouldnt want to leave a PV on my bike for fear that someone would steal it. I know it marries to the bike and is useless to others, but most thieves wouldn't!
Old 16th July 2012
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883
EaZ8 is a jewel in the roughEaZ8 is a jewel in the roughEaZ8 is a jewel in the roughEaZ8 is a jewel in the roughEaZ8 is a jewel in the roughEaZ8 is a jewel in the roughEaZ8 is a jewel in the roughEaZ8 is a jewel in the roughEaZ8 is a jewel in the roughEaZ8 is a jewel in the roughEaZ8 is a jewel in the rough

i put on a dakota digital $350. it fits perfect into the single speedo location and looks great. when its off its just a black screen.
i know you said you want to keep the factory needles, but still..this is what i would recommend.
Old 16th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
rsinghal3 will become famous soon enoughrsinghal3 will become famous soon enoughrsinghal3 will become famous soon enoughrsinghal3 will become famous soon enoughrsinghal3 will become famous soon enoughrsinghal3 will become famous soon enough

+1 on dakota
Old 16th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLC1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XR1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
goblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to all
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp888 View Post
hi rejeanprimeau,

i would consider it although i'd like to keep the authentic look and analogue styling of the iron 883.

any other ideas?

cheers
Koso can hardly provide 'authentic' look; its backlight gives it a distinctive look over OEM speedo. Besides is even pricier than OEM tach.
Know Thy Hog