The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Get Lowered Sportster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Get Lowered
DK Customs
Superbrace
883 Sportster

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th July 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200cc
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
redi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud of
Default wobble during hard cornering

I have experiance a sort of walking/wobble motion during hard cornering. It "seems" to be more in the left turns than the right turns. But not by much. What are the fixes if any?
Old 16th July 2012
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N (Sold)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2014
motorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud of

Mine was due to air pressure. Bumped my front tire to 36psi instead of the recommended 30 and the wobble was gone.
Old 16th July 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW
Other Motorcycle Year: 1973
Motorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura aboutMotorhead52 has a spectacular aura about

yep weight of bike and 160 lb rider was good at 30 psi

I use 35 front 40 rear
Old 16th July 2012
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
denguy will become famous soon enoughdenguy will become famous soon enoughdenguy will become famous soon enoughdenguy will become famous soon enoughdenguy will become famous soon enoughdenguy will become famous soon enoughdenguy will become famous soon enough

Could you expand on what you meant by "hard cornering"?
Old 16th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
knut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to allknut is a name known to all

Tire wear and profile, head bearings, wheel bearings, swingarm, tire pressure, fork springs/oil, shocks, triple tree, alignment...

Old 16th July 2012
Whitworth Products

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by denguy View Post
Could you expand on what you meant by "hard cornering"?
I'm thinkin asphalt rather than sand?

Seriously, I would definitely try air pressure first, but then next would be fork oil and rear shock adjustment. I like to run over a good pothole and feel front to back to get the hit even.

If the front is stiff and the back is soft I adjust the rear stiffness until it's a good thump/thump, and so far that has always worked out good for me on all my bikes (at least the ones with so little adjustment as these). Cartridges require more adjustment, but the feel front to back still needs to be somewhat equal.

You may also get some good help from John's 7 pages of suspension sticky.

Mine is lowered to 11" shocks in the rear, so hard cornering is not much of an option unless I'm in dirt, and personally I don't see any use in trying to make a 30's era scooter into much more than it is. I figure there are limitations to speed that I reach long before the suspension is in full play.

Whitworth Fork Brace: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/m...outme&simple=1

Old 16th July 2012
JESTER SYNDICATE

Sportster/Buell Model: NRHS Stage II 1250-R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Rico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond repute

Out of curiosity, what tires are you running?
Old 17th July 2012

redi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud ofredi2ride has much to be proud of

20mph corner . I take it at 50-60 mph,scraping boot and peg.usually coming out around 45mphish. Just havin a lil fun.
Old 17th July 2012

Shinko 777 , brand new. it did it with the avons and dunlops also.
Old 17th July 2012
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N (Sold)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2014
motorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud of

Again mine was the air pressure. I found it would get worse as I accelerated hard through the curve to the point of having to back off the throttle because of the head shake.
Know Thy Hog