The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Accessories
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Accessories Accessory problems, advice, and/or how tos (Saddle Bags, Sissy Bars, Crash bars, Mirrors, etc

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
Superbrace
DK Customs
BIKE BUILDER
Sky Smith Insurance

BIKE BUILDER
Tags
iron 883, tacho, tachometer

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th July 2012
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 custom
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
vlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to allvlmuke is a name known to all

I really dig my Dakota Speedo too I got mine off ebay new at an auction still saved me some cash but still wasn't cheap
Old 16th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLC1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XR1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
goblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to allgoblin_dust is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlmuke View Post
I really dig my Dakota Speedo too I got mine off ebay new at an auction still saved me some cash but still wasn't cheap
Following these forums for a few years now I am truly surprised by how many people are swapping for dacota digital. I understand that taste is personal thing, but c'mon, this gauge looks like it came from the 80's. Its only advantage is that it plugs right into OEM housing, those guys at dacota did not even try making interface looking up to 21st century. For my taste a simple dial type tachometer looks classier than this monochrome piece of fossil.
Old 17th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2012
jcp888 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi guys,

thanks for the welcome and the responses (love the bacon quote 1iron1). AustinXL your dual kit looks awesome. would you mind having a look at these instructions i founds and let me know if they're the same as what you followed. the link is here:-

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J02933.pdf

cheers
Old 17th July 2012
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: iron883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
1iron1 is a glorious beacon of light1iron1 is a glorious beacon of light1iron1 is a glorious beacon of light1iron1 is a glorious beacon of light1iron1 is a glorious beacon of light1iron1 is a glorious beacon of light1iron1 is a glorious beacon of light1iron1 is a glorious beacon of light1iron1 is a glorious beacon of light1iron1 is a glorious beacon of light1iron1 is a glorious beacon of light

Looks like you're going with the dial type that looks like stock speedo.

Good choice.....and sharp lookin'.

I put a Micro Tach on last night. Love it.

I'm sure you'll love yours as well. You will quickly appreciate riding your iron with a tach. Rev her hard, click, watch the dial dance.

Good luck with the install. Should be straight-forward. The problem with electrical stuff is hiding and making wires neat.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act; rather, a habit." - Aristotle
Old 17th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
AustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud of

jcp888, yes those instructions are from the same kit I used, the installation is very straightforward, just take your time - a lot of people seem to have had issues routing the wiring but I didn't. Also I would recommend assembling the 2 gauges and dummy lights in the bezel while you are sitting at your kitchen table under good light.

Keep in mind the clamp you mentioned is a matte black with silver fin highlights from the factory, I have mine powdercoated textured black so it matches the bezel and lower clamp. Looks better that way and only cost like 15 or 20 bucks.

Good luck with your install, you shouldn't have any problems.
Know Thy Hog

Old 25th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2012
jcp888 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks again austin xl, i'll post some pics when it's done!
Old 25th July 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Low
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha FZ1
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
whittlebeast has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinXL View Post
I used the two parts you're talking about, the tach and the clamp, heres a pic from behind to show what it looks like, sorry I dont have a closer pic. The install is fairly easy and it looks good I think.

Austin, I love the air filter setup. Does it make more HP now compared to the SE stuff?

Beast
traction or wheelie limited acceleration, a sound that just drips testosterone or peace of mind that
everything is as perfect as you know how to make it.

When the racers get done doing the impossible the engineers get a chance to correct the errors in the model.

***My other addiction, running Megasquirt EFI ***
Old 25th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo 1200N
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
AustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by whittlebeast View Post
Austin, I love the air filter setup. Does it make more HP now compared to the SE stuff?

Beast
Beast, you could say it actually makes a WHOLE LOT MORE hp than anything else thats been on the bike....
Old 25th July 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Low
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha FZ1
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
whittlebeast has disabled reputation

Yep, once you go turbo, everything else combined is just messing with the first 3%.

Regarding the OP, I run a TinyTach and a Power Vision.

Old 3rd July 2013
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Jdmuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

Gents would this analog HD tach work with a 13 883N? The HD catalog says no... I am thinking they are wrong etc... or trying to promote a newer part as opposed to this one.