The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Hammer Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions Advice, questions, and tips for 1200, 1250, 1340, 1450 etc... for Sportster and Buell motorcycle engine conversions

Members Birthdays
Don's Cyclewear
Motor Stage
Don's Cyclewear
Speedway Instruments

Sportster Specialty

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st July 2012
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 04
seajay is a glorious beacon of lightseajay is a glorious beacon of lightseajay is a glorious beacon of lightseajay is a glorious beacon of lightseajay is a glorious beacon of lightseajay is a glorious beacon of lightseajay is a glorious beacon of lightseajay is a glorious beacon of lightseajay is a glorious beacon of lightseajay is a glorious beacon of lightseajay is a glorious beacon of light

[quote=~Grind~;4064483]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajay View Post

I edited my previous post before I read this. Maybe I might "do this again"..,, what kind of cams were you using? Rocker arms?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SE .575 and TP rollers.
04 76"C NRHS #2 CP 10.5:1 .575 cams TP rockers TC88A HSR-42 S&Sac LSR 2-1 Can you say--- screamer?
Old 22nd July 2012
Assistant Administrator

Sportster/Buell Model: 1212 conversion/497 cams
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
xena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to see you're back up and running. Since everyone has done so I'm gonna toss in my recommendation. Just do like I've done this summer and ride the thing and stop diddlin with it. I promise you'll be so much happier.

XLF Rules/Guidelines

XLF Guidelines II
*¸.•´¸.•´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ (¸.•*´¯`*•--->Xena
1212 Conversion 10:1 CR
SE 497 Cams
Python 3 Slip ons
TC88A running Xena's Black Panther Map

My 1212 Conversion Thread
XL Forum Members Map

Old 22nd July 2012
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know Xena, as soon as I get finished diddlin and fiddlin with the bike I gotta start working on the truck.... And you know me.... Show me a hoop and I'll jump through it. Heck, I've almost got 4,000 miles on the build, its not even been 3 months. I've just about got it where I want it. I'd like to find a dyno guy and it isn't like I'm not trying. I keep getting stood up. Oh well...

Wedge's Father....
Old 23rd July 2012
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute~Grind~ has a reputation beyond repute

Seajay, what kind of lifters did you end up using?

Old 23rd July 2012
Senior Bike Builder

seajay is a glorious beacon of lightseajay is a glorious beacon of lightseajay is a glorious beacon of lightseajay is a glorious beacon of lightseajay is a glorious beacon of lightseajay is a glorious beacon of lightseajay is a glorious beacon of lightseajay is a glorious beacon of lightseajay is a glorious beacon of lightseajay is a glorious beacon of lightseajay is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Grind~ View Post
Seajay, what kind of lifters did you end up using?

Competition Cams Pro Magnum lifters. They are known to be LOUD, so riding without a helmet ear plugs work great. With ear plugs you can hear the mechanical parts without the echos. In fact, when I last did this 1250 rebuild it made so much noise I was going to take it apart to find the cause. Decided not to because it ran like a champ and 3 1/2 yrs. since it still does.
Know Thy Hog

Old 23rd July 2012
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Well, I've decided I can't live with this level of valve train noise. The stock lifters seem a tad bit quieter but not enough to suit me (it was a nice experiment). The thought of those JIMS powerglide IIs just sitting on the bench doesn't set well with me either. So, I've decided to pull the RS 585s out and install Hammer Performance "Crush 600" cams. The Crush 600 cams are supposed to be quieter and should out perform the 585's. I can't wait to find out. So it's off to the garage. Off! with the heads!
Old 23rd July 2012
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
PiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud ofPiousDevil has much to be proud of

this development excites me, i'm interested in the 600s and would love a review
Old 23rd July 2012
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL77.2R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
rejeanprimeau has much to be proud ofrejeanprimeau has much to be proud ofrejeanprimeau has much to be proud ofrejeanprimeau has much to be proud ofrejeanprimeau has much to be proud ofrejeanprimeau has much to be proud ofrejeanprimeau has much to be proud ofrejeanprimeau has much to be proud ofrejeanprimeau has much to be proud ofrejeanprimeau has much to be proud ofrejeanprimeau has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Grind~ View Post
No Bob, I didn't check that dimension.

In my own experience, I've found more bad lifter bodies than lifter itself. They shall be paired with the correct tolerance.
Old 23rd July 2012
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiousDevil View Post
this development excites me, i'm interested in the 600s and would love a review
I'll do my best! Like you said I am a "anal retentive machinist". I've been machining so long I think the right or wrongness of this line of work has been engrained into my brain. You said something about learning about the trade. You can try taking a couple of vocational training courses at your local Vo-tech school or maybe take a part time job in a "job" shop. Try to get on a manual machine if you can. CNCs are great production tools but there is a whole lot more to it than doing set-ups, feeding the machine and calling up and editing programs. You could even learn to program but the best programmers are great machinists. You need to learn how to make the part. Its kind of like working on our bikes. There is a lot more to it than just bolting parts together. And if it were easy, everyone would be doing it.
Old 23rd July 2012
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejeanprimeau View Post
In my own experience, I've found more bad lifter bodies than lifter itself. They shall be paired with the correct tolerance.
Just to clarify Rejean, are you and Bob talking about the ground OD of the lifter body or the undercut area of the lifter body? Would anyone happen to know the clearance between the lifter OD and the lifter bore ID? How about the clearance between the cam journals and cam bushing bores?
Know Thy Hog