The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Seating and Luggage
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Seating and Luggage Here is where you post discussions about seating and luggage

Members Birthdays
Fix My Hog
Motor Stage
Lowbrow Customs
Dead Creek Cycles

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Low
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
schrader6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Saddlebag Size Advice

I've decided on Saddlemen saddlebags for my '06 1200 low. I purchased the Express Drifter Slant Large thinking at the time they would be big enough. I measured the bike and was happy with my decision. I received them the other day and went to install and I'm really disappointed in the size of them. I'm going to Sturgis this year and would like room to throw rain gear, chaps and my leather jacket in the bags. I tested the rain gear and chaps in one bag today and it barely fits. Saddlemen also makes two larger sizes of the same style, Jumbo and Extra Jumbo. Below are the measurements for all three:

Large 15.5" L x 9.5" H x 5" D
Jumbo 17.5" L x 10.5" H x 6" D
Extra Jumbo 22" L x 10.5" H x 7" D

Besides Sturgis or a week long trip on the bike I mostly do weekend/extended weekend trips so I'm thinking the Extra Jumbo might be just a bit too big for the bike. I'm just looking for some advice and if anyone has the Jumbo or Extra Jumbo size of the Saddlemen Express Drifter Slant let me know what you think.
Old 22nd July 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Jimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to all

No expieriance with THAT bag, but plan on relocating your turn signals. My bags are about 14" long and they fit much better with my signals moved back. If you need to haul shit, get the biggest you can. I'm sure all of your shit still won't fit. Get a sissy bar to tie stuff onto.
Old 22nd July 2012
Biker

Thanks for the advice...and sorry for not posting this in the original. I just relocated the turn signals today (boy was that a project!!!) and already have a sissybar bag with a rollbag.
Old 22nd July 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
DWilliam is just really niceDWilliam is just really niceDWilliam is just really niceDWilliam is just really niceDWilliam is just really niceDWilliam is just really niceDWilliam is just really niceDWilliam is just really niceDWilliam is just really niceDWilliam is just really niceDWilliam is just really nice

You can also get a little extra carrying capacity (unless you're riding 2-up) by strapping a good sized backpack to the front of your sissybar. I've done a few weekend and a little longer trips like this with a frame hiking pack that I already had and the bag that came with the bike from the previous owner, including a camping trip where I hauled a tent along as well. Just a thought in another direction for extra space that doesn't always have to be on the bike.
Old 22nd July 2012
Senior Master Bolter Oner

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: 48cc moped-donor bike TBD
Other Motorcycle Year: 14?
Brad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond reputeBrad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrader6 View Post

Large 15.5" L x 9.5" H x 5" D
Jumbo 17.5" L x 10.5" H x 6" D
Extra Jumbo 22" L x 10.5" H x 7" D
If I had to go between Jumbo an Extra Jumbo, I'd go Extra Jumbo. Only an inch wider but 4.5 longer. I think they would be my choice. FWIW, I use my saddlebags for mostly everyday stuff (rain gear, cargo nets, tools, 1qt oil, etc) The traveling stuff usually goes on my passenger seat. If mine were bigger, I'd try to do one for everyday stuff and use the other for trip stuff.
Know Thy Hog

Old 22nd July 2012
I think I like Sportsters

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L (sorta)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: XR1200X
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Several years ago I tried the Saddlemen Drifter Saddlebags, X-Jumbo size, mounted with wide Easy Brackets. Really didn't work out for me as the bags were too big and too easy to put too much weight in. The cheap plastic backing plate didn't hold up.

But, if you are using them as throw overs, might not matter. Here's some pictures to give an idea on size. Obviously these are not the slant variety, but I believe otherwise the same size.

Saddlemen Drifter Saddlebags, X-Jumbo:

Old 22nd July 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Jimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to allJimmy_Hoffa is a name known to all

Damn those thing look huge on a sporty!
Old 22nd July 2012
Biker

If those are the Extra Jumbo I agree...they are huge on a sporty! Thanks for the advice and picture. I think I will get the Jumbo size. Looking forward to the trip out west to Sturgis with some extra luggage space this year!