The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Figure Machine  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Lubrication and Lubricants
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Lubrication and Lubricants You guessed. Here is where everyone can argue over oil.

Members Birthdays
Lowbrow Customs
Energy One Clutches
Superbrace.com
RYCA Motors

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st July 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
morvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud of
Default Oil Scavenging

OK as part of my starter change out I did all the fluids, primary and engine and decided to follow the scavenging thread. I was unsure as to whether to just crank the motor on the starter or fire her up. So I pulled the plugs and used my new 1.4Kw All Balls Starter, soon flattened the battery but was staggered to see the amount of black crap coming out the return pipe.

Battery charger on, but flattened the battery next time and still pumping black crap, must have half a quart or more so far.

So what is it guys? Do you crank on the starter or fie her up, all I can say from the experience so far is if you own a Sportster or any dry sump engined vehicle, get into the habit of scavenging oil from the motor at oil changes.

Coming soon:

2004 XL1200 R

Cylinder Head Work including:
1.900 intake 7MM 4.425 SG
1.615 Exhaust 7MM 4.651 SG

7MM Beehive Spring 600 Lift
Striker Performance 7MM Valve Spring Kit

HP 3563 30D76 3.563 30 Degree Piston with Reverse Dome, 76 CC Chamber

XL/ Buell 1250 kit, Black With Highlighted Fins
04/Buell XB Intake 10.676x.065x3/8 (-.050)
04/Buell XB Exhaust 10.730x.065x3/8 (-.050)

XL 560 lift Impact hammer Performance Cam Set

V & H Competition Series 2 into 1 Exhaust, 04-12 Xl models

Twin Tec Adjustable Ignition Module, 04-06 Sportster/Twin cam single 12 pin

1991 to Present Sportster (XL) - Energy One Extra Plate Clutch Kit
Old 21st July 2012
JESTER SYNDICATE

Sportster/Buell Model: NRHS Stage II 1250-R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Rico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond repute

I fire it up.
Old 21st July 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

morvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud ofmorvenhouse has much to be proud of

Thanks Rico 05R, battery on charge, tomorrow all of the horses will be applied.
Old 21st July 2012
JESTER SYNDICATE

Sportster/Buell Model: NRHS Stage II 1250-R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Rico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond repute

To scavenge the oil until it comes out clean, it usually takes around 10 to 15 seconds with the motor running. I just didn't want to run the starter that long.
Old 21st July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Ducati
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
oldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to all

Did this on mine last oil change. removed the return line and ran the engine until I saw clean oil. Refitted the line and topped up the oil.

Old 22nd July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200c
DaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond repute

There is a thread all about scavenging. If you put a tee in the return line, the one that is seen next to the battery under the cover, you can crimp it off going to the oil bag and drain it there using a bypass oil filter.
Cant hurt, but many will say the extra effort is not worth it. Personal choice. I choose to.

Air shock information thread
Old 22nd July 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Thanks guys, I have read many of the scavenging threads, what I was not ready for was the volume of black oil that actually remains in the engine and comes out when you scavenge. Nearly a quart by my estimation, so whilst there are those that feel it is not necessary, scavenging is my preferred method from now on.
Old 25th July 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sturge is an unknown quantity at this point

Could someone link to "the scavenging thread?" The search engine isn't helping me much. Thanks.
Old 26th July 2012
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 1200r
Other Motorcycle Model: cb 750 honda
boxcardenny is a jewel in the roughboxcardenny is a jewel in the roughboxcardenny is a jewel in the roughboxcardenny is a jewel in the roughboxcardenny is a jewel in the roughboxcardenny is a jewel in the roughboxcardenny is a jewel in the roughboxcardenny is a jewel in the roughboxcardenny is a jewel in the roughboxcardenny is a jewel in the roughboxcardenny is a jewel in the rough

i am lost on this!! run the motor after you change the oil and watch for clean oil coming out?i do my own oil changes but never ran the motor till clean oil came out
Old 26th July 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Other Motorcycle Model: Ducati
oldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to alloldboy is a name known to all

in the past I knew this as 'purging' the remaining old oil from the engine. Did it on my Norton and BSA and my GMC truck with the 6.2 diesel.
Know Thy Hog