The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Cadrien, boyett (64), gulp2000a (60), soulshaker (51), eddien (44), sfxtech (36), 61Comet (36), Rix (35)
NRHS Performance Long 2
Lowbrow Customs
Superbrace
Energy One Clutches

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd August 2012
Greasemonkey

modkaz is just really nicemodkaz is just really nicemodkaz is just really nicemodkaz is just really nicemodkaz is just really nicemodkaz is just really nicemodkaz is just really nicemodkaz is just really nicemodkaz is just really nicemodkaz is just really nicemodkaz is just really nice
Default Tank lifts and re-wiring.

Hey all,
Just a quick question here for those of you who have done a tank lift.

When you hid your wires under the now lift tank, did you remove all the connectors and just splice them together?

If you DIDNT (which is what Im hoping to do, I hate soldering) what size lift did you do so they would fit under?
Old 3rd August 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 04
Other Motorcycle Model: Excelsior SuperX
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
Tripiii is just really niceTripiii is just really niceTripiii is just really niceTripiii is just really niceTripiii is just really niceTripiii is just really niceTripiii is just really niceTripiii is just really niceTripiii is just really niceTripiii is just really niceTripiii is just really nice

I did a 2" tank lift on my O4 R and all the plugs fit, under the tank.
Old 3rd August 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 CHOP PROJECT
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1997
Other Motorcycle Model: 1200 CHOP PROJECT #2
Other Motorcycle Year: 1992
threat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to allthreat357 is a name known to all

You want to keep it at 2 1/2" or less anyway because over that and you'll start creating a noticeable gap between the frame backbone and the rear tank bracket which kinda looks off. Makes the lines not flow. You may notice that the rear tank bracket is not exactly horizontal with the bottom edge of the tank itself. The bracket sits at a slightly downward angle. That's what creates that gap. I mean, it's your bike, do what your want of course, but if you keep it under 3", it'll look a little smoother. Just throwin' in my 2ó for what it's worth.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Old 3rd August 2012
HDMC

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L-1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
tyler.woodard04 is a glorious beacon of lighttyler.woodard04 is a glorious beacon of lighttyler.woodard04 is a glorious beacon of lighttyler.woodard04 is a glorious beacon of lighttyler.woodard04 is a glorious beacon of lighttyler.woodard04 is a glorious beacon of lighttyler.woodard04 is a glorious beacon of lighttyler.woodard04 is a glorious beacon of lighttyler.woodard04 is a glorious beacon of lighttyler.woodard04 is a glorious beacon of lighttyler.woodard04 is a glorious beacon of light

Made mine fit with factory conectors and a 1.5"
Hammered in a 103.7HP animal
Old 3rd August 2012
Greasemonkey

modkaz is just really nicemodkaz is just really nicemodkaz is just really nicemodkaz is just really nicemodkaz is just really nicemodkaz is just really nicemodkaz is just really nicemodkaz is just really nicemodkaz is just really nicemodkaz is just really nicemodkaz is just really nice

Hey Tyler, got some pics of what your scoot looks like with the lift?

Hows that rear fender treating ya?
Know Thy Hog

Old 3rd August 2012
HDMC

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L-1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
tyler.woodard04 is a glorious beacon of lighttyler.woodard04 is a glorious beacon of lighttyler.woodard04 is a glorious beacon of lighttyler.woodard04 is a glorious beacon of lighttyler.woodard04 is a glorious beacon of lighttyler.woodard04 is a glorious beacon of lighttyler.woodard04 is a glorious beacon of lighttyler.woodard04 is a glorious beacon of lighttyler.woodard04 is a glorious beacon of lighttyler.woodard04 is a glorious beacon of lighttyler.woodard04 is a glorious beacon of light

Rear fender is great really glad i did it. Needs painted again but so does tank. Not sure what color on either yet.
Old 3rd August 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has disabled reputation

I didn't do any lift and still was able to fit all of my wires under the tank and along the backbone. Solder and shrink tubing. Stagger the solder points (so you don't get a big ball of connections), mark all your wires, and take your time.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes