The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum MOTOSPORT  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
texrex (62), jjluvstoride (49), njstoehr (38), tacho75xlh (35), 80ironhead80 (25)
DK Customs
Superbrace
Biltwell
Lowbrow Customs

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th August 2012
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1990
a150bdriver is a jewel in the rougha150bdriver is a jewel in the rougha150bdriver is a jewel in the rougha150bdriver is a jewel in the rougha150bdriver is a jewel in the rougha150bdriver is a jewel in the rougha150bdriver is a jewel in the rougha150bdriver is a jewel in the rougha150bdriver is a jewel in the rougha150bdriver is a jewel in the rougha150bdriver is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdixon61 View Post
chopfather, it is getting interesting lol

these yrs may not be worth much but it is getting harder to find ones that are original and I like to put things back the way the moco made them when worth the effort..
The moco didn't really make many changes over the yrs but there are some and a few that would be considered major updates. They seem to have better documentation than the car manufactorers by a long shot but thats a whole nutter nightmare.

well ok excpet for the one i abuse daily lol
What is the build date on yours? My 90 was built in May of 89. I ordered it in October 89 and got it in January of 90.
Old 7th August 2012
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 81 IH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
gdixon61 is a jewel in the roughgdixon61 is a jewel in the roughgdixon61 is a jewel in the roughgdixon61 is a jewel in the roughgdixon61 is a jewel in the roughgdixon61 is a jewel in the roughgdixon61 is a jewel in the roughgdixon61 is a jewel in the roughgdixon61 is a jewel in the roughgdixon61 is a jewel in the roughgdixon61 is a jewel in the rough

chopfather,

Thanks for checking by the way!
Old 7th August 2012
Master Mechanic

a150bdriver is a jewel in the rougha150bdriver is a jewel in the rougha150bdriver is a jewel in the rougha150bdriver is a jewel in the rougha150bdriver is a jewel in the rougha150bdriver is a jewel in the rougha150bdriver is a jewel in the rougha150bdriver is a jewel in the rougha150bdriver is a jewel in the rougha150bdriver is a jewel in the rougha150bdriver is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdixon61 View Post
chopfather,

Thanks for checking by the way!
No worries sonny boy.
Old 7th August 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 standard/ 1200 conv
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha XS650 (2) Honda XL
Other Motorcycle Year: '81
chopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the rough

Mine shows build date of March in '91 and I personally pulled this bike from the crate and put it together in June of '91 for the first owner, I'm the second owner, when I worked at Surdyke HD.
Old 7th August 2012
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 81 IH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
gdixon61 is a jewel in the roughgdixon61 is a jewel in the roughgdixon61 is a jewel in the roughgdixon61 is a jewel in the roughgdixon61 is a jewel in the roughgdixon61 is a jewel in the roughgdixon61 is a jewel in the roughgdixon61 is a jewel in the roughgdixon61 is a jewel in the roughgdixon61 is a jewel in the roughgdixon61 is a jewel in the rough

Chopfather,
My 92 is my favorite because I bought it the week I ets'd from the service. It will be one that is always around unlike the many others I've had, sold or traded.
Know Thy Hog

Old 8th August 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH1100
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
Other Motorcycle Model: Rupp Roadster
Other Motorcycle Year: 1971
tmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by a150bdriver View Post
Not on 90 and below. They do not have the vapor valve.

Hey, let's help him get his bike running...... Lets get away from the tank vent. It's not needed on a 86. Yea your's may have it open, but the '86's were simpler bikes. He could spend the time finding the real problem.

As for the air filter, eBay has some replacement foam elements.

search : "uni filter NU-3422"

or click: http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_from=R40&_...:MEFSRCHX:SRCH
1986 XLH 1100 (fixer-upper) // Engineers design things, Technicians make them work. --- 30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck .
Old 8th August 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
Spartacus is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the info! I think that I will leave the vent closed, for now. I have cleaned the stock filter, it's not in too bad shape - can I use K&N oil on a stock foam filter?

With shipping to Canada, I found a K&N HD2085 air filter for $40US on eBay versus the only NU-3422 I found was about $49US.

This week I'll pull off the petcock and clean the fuel filter, and then pull off the carbs. Yes, I'm procrastinating pulling the carbs, as I have only done it once, ten years ago on a Honda.
Old 8th August 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 standard/ 1200 conv
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha XS650 (2) Honda XL
Other Motorcycle Year: '81
chopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the rough

Pulling the carb on the sporty will be much easier than a honda, besides you have all week to search the forum and gain some knowledge from people who have already been there.
Old 8th August 2012
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopfather View Post
Pulling the carb on the sporty will be much easier than a honda, besides you have all week to search the forum and gain some knowledge from people who have already been there.
And your ebay shop manual shows you how!
Old 8th August 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
Other Motorcycle Model: GL1500se '76 cus shovel
Other Motorcycle Year: 1990
mooseye is a name known to allmooseye is a name known to allmooseye is a name known to allmooseye is a name known to allmooseye is a name known to allmooseye is a name known to allmooseye is a name known to allmooseye is a name known to allmooseye is a name known to allmooseye is a name known to allmooseye is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by a150bdriver View Post
What is the build date on yours? My 90 was built in May of 89. I ordered it in October 89 and got it in January of 90.
I know this is OT but, why did it take them over two months to get you a bike that was built more than four months eariler?