The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Top End issues. Rockerboxes, Valves, Cylinders, Pistons, Rings, Lift Rods, etc...

Members Birthdays
jojo, 5lv (66), BobbyB (60), BigBrotherWatching (52), black1200r (45), Jnomad72 (42), michigan113 (39), xl1200c (33)
BIKE BUILDER
Figure Machine
Motor Stage
DK Customs

883 Sportster

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th August 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 93
Other Motorcycle Model: '72 Bonnie
sportytrash is a splendid one to beholdsportytrash is a splendid one to beholdsportytrash is a splendid one to beholdsportytrash is a splendid one to beholdsportytrash is a splendid one to beholdsportytrash is a splendid one to beholdsportytrash is a splendid one to beholdsportytrash is a splendid one to beholdsportytrash is a splendid one to beholdsportytrash is a splendid one to beholdsportytrash is a splendid one to behold

Run the new heads and enjoy increased performance including m.p.g. while you decide if you want to spend the savings on porting.
Old 9th August 2012
A Million Facts & Figures

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
aswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant futureaswracing has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportytrash View Post
Run the new heads and enjoy increased performance including m.p.g. while you decide if you want to spend the savings on porting.
That' really a pretty good plan. The new heads will make a big improvement by themselves, and then later if he wants more, he has the platform to work from. And it's easy to R&R heads on these motors.

To the OP: When you shop for heads, you'll soon discover that the 04-06 1200 heads (carbureted), which are the right ones to get, have become hard to come by and are pricey. EFI 1200 heads (07-up) are easier to come by and quite a bit less money.

The EFI heads can be made to work on a carbureted bike, people have done it, but there are a couple things to be aware of. First, the bolt pattern for the manifold flanges is different; the bolts are spread quite a bit farther apart to make room for the EFI throttle body. You'll need to get the late model manifold flanges which run a whopping $12.30 from us.

Second, the surfaces on the heads where the intake manifold bolts down have been milled down about 1/16" on the EFI heads as compared to the carb heads. This means your stock intake manifold is a little too narrow to fit properly. People have done it and made it work, just be aware of the issue. If you go down this path, make sure your manifold is as well centered as possible before final tightening.

Just an FYI, I leaked a little while ago that we're working on new billet manifolds that will solve this problem, as well as let you mount an HSR45 or HSR48 ...

I'm working hard on this, but it's a tricky piece to do and get everything right. It's uncertain when it'll be ready or what it'll cost. But if you're not in a big hurry, it's very well possible this solution will be out there.

Old 9th August 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDL
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
AustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud ofAustinXL has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketmangb View Post
All this piss flying around really dis-appoints me.
Agreed.

By now I think the entire Northern hemisphere understands the history of the headwork.

That's all water under the bridge, both are reputable companies that put out a quality product, I have never heard a complaint about either to be honest.

Competition is a good thing, it encourages fair pricing and new innovative ideas. More of that and less bickering makes customers happy.
Old 9th August 2012
outside the box racing

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo 1350 XLSR
Sportster/Buell Year: 99
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Turbo 1350 XLDS project
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: 883->1330 dragster
Other Motorcycle Year: 1991
bitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant future

holy crap! imagining the time in the box for that one piece..... probably costs more than same mass of gold

but when you can get a cnc billet manifold to fit anything to anything..... priceless?

whatever the case, that is a thing of beauty.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." - T. S. Eliot

TGB #8
#1999 1350 APS-PBG AMA/USFRA current
Old 9th August 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Yamaha Raider
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2010
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha FZ1
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
Terp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketmangb View Post
All this piss flying around really dis-appoints me.
Its pathetic. Shame on ....

**RIP MR. JIMI & JOHNNY G**
Know Thy Hog

Old 9th August 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

I'm on here,(this forum), because I'm comfortable with it, good people, good info, lots of help, but the bickering is making me uncomfortable, I don't like it. No one should feel the need to retort, the history is here. Facts is facts let's move on in a positive manner.
I.B.A.#26543, Old age and treachery ALWAYS overcome youth and skill! ******** Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they grow old because they quit playing