The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Top End issues. Rockerboxes, Valves, Cylinders, Pistons, Rings, Lift Rods, etc...

Members Birthdays
hdbabe49 (65), gene405 (58), hongkong076 (44), whispanic (34)
Fix My Hog
Dead Creek Cycles
Fix My Hog
Lowbrow Customs

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th August 2012
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL833R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Steve3888 is on a distinguished roadSteve3888 is on a distinguished road
Default Buell heads

Has anyone tried using a 2005 Buell 1200 top end on a ridgid sporty? I know the heads will bolt up to the engine fine. My concern is the engine mounts.
Old 10th August 2012
Amateur Hour

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Xl
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
madnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant future

Very simple mod to make fit. its easy. somebody will chime in about pushrod length. those heads are shorter
Old 10th August 2012
Amateur Hour

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Xl
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
madnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant futuremadnss has a brilliant future

You just need to widen front motor mount for larger bolts. i think thats it. maybe different intake flange
Old 10th August 2012
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Evil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of lightEvil_Seven is a glorious beacon of light

This is from Hammer Performance web page

As far as retrofitting these heads to 03 & earlier models go, there are some things to be aware of:

•The fins on rubber mount heads are a little larger than the fins on the earlier heads, so they won't match up to your cylinders quite as well. It's most noticeable on the left (spark plug side) but most people don't think it looks bad at all.

•The front motor mount bolt holes are 7/16-14 (like the Buell heads described above), but also the right front bolt hole (pushrod side) has been moved inboard 1/4". A special bracket is readily available from HAMMER PERFORMANCE to take care of this and allow you to bolt the heads right on to your 03 or older Sportster.

•As delivered from the factory, these heads are .020" shorter than the previous generation heads, at 3.670" instead of 3.690". Normally this is not enough to worry about with respect to pushrod length and manifold fit. However if you're shortening the motor further via thin gaskets or further decking, it's something to be aware of. Once you've shortened the stack by .045 to .050" overall you need to be thinking about these things.

•None of these late model heads are available from the factory in an assembled form. You have to buy the heads bare and then buy the valves, springs, retainers, locks, and guide seal/locaters separately and do the assembly yourself. However, HAMMER PERFORMANCE sells these heads fully assembled and ready to bolt-on for the same price that the heads and hardware will cost you at your dealer. We'll also include our special High-Flow Swirl Polished Stainless Steel valves instead of the cheap factory valves, again at no extra cost!
Old 10th August 2012
Master Mechanic

Well what I may have is acsess to a totaled out 05 XB12R. So in theory I could pull anything of of it I might need.
Know Thy Hog

Old 10th August 2012
Known Troublemaker !

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
milmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve3888 View Post
Well what I may have is acsess to a totaled out 05 XB12R. So in theory I could pull anything of of it I might need.
Take your toolbox and get everything that you can get off that puppy !!
How to Check the Diaphragm! : Diaphragm_Test
REPLACING INTAKE/CARB SEALS:Replacing Intake Seals
MAINTENANCE INFO 04-06 : HANDY REFFERENCE

My futile attempt at Blogging: http://toolstolivewith.blogspot.com/

:
Old 10th August 2012
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: 883r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
02883r is a name known to all02883r is a name known to all02883r is a name known to all02883r is a name known to all02883r is a name known to all02883r is a name known to all02883r is a name known to all02883r is a name known to all02883r is a name known to all02883r is a name known to all02883r is a name known to all

You will need to tap breather bolt holes/ carb mount bracket as they are not tapped onthe xb. I drilled and tapped a set off of an xb9 to run on his sportster.
Old 10th August 2012
Master Mechanic

So pull the jugs pistons and heads?
Old 10th August 2012
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 xl sportster custom
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 03
Other Motorcycle Model: 1200 low sportster
Other Motorcycle Year: 06
Bob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to allBob s hog is a name known to all

yep take the hole top end would be the way to go or see if you can get the hole engin .
Old 10th August 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: X1 Millenium
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1982
TurboGLH has a spectacular aura aboutTurboGLH has a spectacular aura aboutTurboGLH has a spectacular aura aboutTurboGLH has a spectacular aura aboutTurboGLH has a spectacular aura aboutTurboGLH has a spectacular aura aboutTurboGLH has a spectacular aura aboutTurboGLH has a spectacular aura aboutTurboGLH has a spectacular aura aboutTurboGLH has a spectacular aura aboutTurboGLH has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02883r View Post
You will need to tap breather bolt holes/ carb mount bracket as they are not tapped onthe xb. I drilled and tapped a set off of an xb9 to run on his sportster.
I would tap them for Carb support only, but not drill them through for the breather. The buell rocker covers already have pcv valves in them, a far better vent system than the sportster/early buell setup.