The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sportster Motorcycle Project
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
RYCA Motors
S&S Cycle
Figure Machine
S&S Cycle

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th August 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo XL Sidecar
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
JasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud ofJasonSarratt has much to be proud of

Dunno bout the Dakin Dyno... But riding up might be fun one weekend... I am however thinking I may put a load roller in the floor before to long

Would love hanging out with 79 too
Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11th August 2012
outside the box racing

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo 1350 XLSR
Sportster/Buell Year: 99
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Turbo 1350 XLDS project
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: 883->1330 dragster
Other Motorcycle Year: 1991
bitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant future

i was thinking EXACTLY the same thing. but before too long is too long.

let's go next weekend. i should be feature complete by then. talk about cutting it close.

ok, let's not talk about cutting it short. any more.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." - T. S. Eliot

TGB #8
#1999 1350 APS-PBG AMA/USFRA current
Old 11th August 2012
outside the box racing

bitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant future

the stainless paint is a bitch to work with....

they are not kidding when they say 'for best results.... 70f'. it's midnight and 100f and the stuff comes out like fur. if you are in this situation, spray it on cardboard until it starts laying flat. about 1/5 a can. then it will go on like liquid stainless.

working on the fender.

i am not patient nor understanding when it comes to these things so i just wiped it down and started again. there are a few gummy spots under but it's not and never will be a show bike so i aint worried. i am quite happy with the way the stainless look over flat black is going to present.

summary: if you live in a blast furnace, put your pieces and paint in the house for a few hours before going outside to spray it.

sorry no pics. when/if i have to spray in the heat again i will illustrate.
Old 11th August 2012
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitpusher View Post
i was thinking EXACTLY the same thing. but before too long is too long.

let's go next weekend. i should be feature complete by then. talk about cutting it close.

ok, let's not talk about cutting it short. any more.
Well, right now, 20 degrees cooler than you, and our high today.....

20 degrees cooler!

I even have nice neighbors, they've yet to complain when I fire up my bike!
Old 14th August 2012
outside the box racing

the stainless 'paint' proved to be unpredictable and the job did not come out as good as i planned but i have no more time to fool with a paint job i never wanted. may or may not redo it after the season.

not sure if the windshield is going to work for street driving, it may be putting the buffet zone in my face sitting up but when laying down on the tank everything, even my helmet, is in the wind shadow. should work pretty good.

Know Thy Hog

Old 14th August 2012
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold'79 Supercharged Fuel Inj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitpusher View Post
the stainless 'paint' proved to be unpredictable and the job did not come out as good as i planned but i have no more time to fool with a paint job i never wanted. may or may not redo it after the season.

not sure if the windshield is going to work for street driving, it may be putting the buffet zone in my face sitting up but when laying down on the tank everything, even my helmet, is in the wind shadow. should work pretty good.
Looks better than it was!
Old 14th August 2012
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1987
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1991
Other Motorcycle Model: Sportster XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1995
Dakin Engineering has disabled reputation

AMEN!

The fairing is worth 15- 20 MPH at Bonny.

Do something about that chain, pleeeeze.

Sam
Old 15th August 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
mr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to beholdmr.coffee is a splendid one to behold

Not too shabby....you should hit your tins to match, at least for now.

-m
Old 17th August 2012
outside the box racing

i am on it coffee....

naked, hacked, lonely frame...

all the stuff that came offa it...

i do not expect to have parts left over and will likely have an supervisory crew to keep me honest.

tank must be attached in a 'workmanlike fashion'

it has only ever had one bracket, which i made..... more than once... and this is the best... not pleased...

so i did the math.. how long to make 2 more and how much for soft parts?

screw that, $35 for water jetted 1/4" plate with hardware. sometimes i see the forest despite the trees...

now that is workmanlike.

oh, yeah, the tank had gas in it this morning. while i was not welding directly on the tank, it did need to be cleared

you must excuse me, it is raining and my bike is scattered in the driveway...
Old 26th August 2012
outside the box racing

been way too busy to futz around making posts or saying thank you - sorry.

so, let me say real quick - THANK YOU!

loaded up, heading out.

i have set up a skype account, xlfsalttalks, and have made a group for us. if you send contact request to xlfsalttalks i will add you to the group and we can have a private IM chat window and video calls.

talk to you next from the salt!

Know Thy Hog