The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Foxcreek Leather  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
texrex (62), jjluvstoride (49), njstoehr (38), tacho75xlh (35), 80ironhead80 (25)
Licks Holiday
S&S Cycle
Burly
Speedway Instruments

Lickscycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th August 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 75 motor in Norton frame.
Other Motorcycle Model: 42WLA 45, Harton, Narley
Other Motorcycle Year: 1942
Hopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesomepants View Post
not yet but i'll get it one day. i'm looking up iron head and shovel head and getting what looks like the same motor which is what i thought. is the motor in the bike you posted not a knuckle?
No, like I said its an Ironhead cut down.
Old 12th August 2012
HeWhoMakesThunder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh883/1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
norseXL has a reputation beyond reputenorseXL has a reputation beyond reputenorseXL has a reputation beyond reputenorseXL has a reputation beyond reputenorseXL has a reputation beyond reputenorseXL has a reputation beyond reputenorseXL has a reputation beyond reputenorseXL has a reputation beyond reputenorseXL has a reputation beyond reputenorseXL has a reputation beyond reputenorseXL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sporty motors are easy to tell because the pushrod tubes are parallel. Big twin (Knuckle, Pan, Shovel) pushrods make a Vee shape. Sporty has four cams, big twin has only two. Get it?

Well, that would be right for Twinkies, all other BTs since the Knuckle have one.
Get it

Sir Harry R. Ricardo
Old 12th August 2012

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
Other Motorcycle Model: FX
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
Mosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah! Brain fart...
Old 12th August 2012

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of lightbrucstoudt is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosey View Post
even though i,graduated from high school in the mid 70's,i,don't recall the FU,model shovelhead!
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.

Last edited by Folkie; 15th August 2012 at 22:09.. Reason: Removed quote of deleyed post
Old 12th August 2012

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
Other Motorcycle Model: FX
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
Mosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond reputeMosey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucstoudt View Post
even though i,graduated from high school in the mid 70's,i,don't recall the FU,model shovelhead!
It was a rare model only sold to malcontents, miscreants, rebels and those damned free-thinkers! Party on, Wayne...
Know Thy Hog

Old 12th August 2012
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL77.2R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
rejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant futurerejeanprimeau has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesomepants View Post
I'm confused. Are all bikes with motors before the EVO's called iron heads? Thought that was a knuckle? I thought only shovels were actually called iron heads? I thought the rest just went by how the top looks. Like flat, pan, knuckle...
More confusion, the 1340 where called block head, the twin cams fat head. IronHead is related to the XL.
Old 12th August 2012
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
ron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really nice

That the bike won is a HUGE tribute to the skill of the builder, considering what he started with. This is somewhat illustrated by how much of the original Ironhead he discarded in favor of something better, or at least, different. Like the once-common T-bucket roadster hot rods, and the choppers of the late 60's and early 70's, this type of custom motorcycle construction is all about making something pretty, not making something which actually does anything useful, so the end product is less something to ride, and more something to look at and talk about.
Old 12th August 2012
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 04
Bigrick110 is just really niceBigrick110 is just really niceBigrick110 is just really niceBigrick110 is just really niceBigrick110 is just really niceBigrick110 is just really niceBigrick110 is just really niceBigrick110 is just really niceBigrick110 is just really niceBigrick110 is just really niceBigrick110 is just really nice

I really appreciate the time energy and skill of the builder, but my taste r much more simple. I'm the guy that rode the short bus after all.
Old 12th August 2012
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CBR 600 RR (sold)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
Captain Awesomepants is a name known to allCaptain Awesomepants is a name known to allCaptain Awesomepants is a name known to allCaptain Awesomepants is a name known to allCaptain Awesomepants is a name known to allCaptain Awesomepants is a name known to allCaptain Awesomepants is a name known to allCaptain Awesomepants is a name known to allCaptain Awesomepants is a name known to allCaptain Awesomepants is a name known to allCaptain Awesomepants is a name known to all

thanks Mosey- the shovel head and iron head thing makes sense now. can't say that i see many if any bike pre- EVO where i live out in the sticks and I have the only Nightster and one of only prob 5 Sporties in the county i live in... but live in the most beautiful place to ride in the state...