The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Lubrication and Lubricants
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Lubrication and Lubricants You guessed. Here is where everyone can argue over oil.

Members Birthdays
wallylach (63), cob (60), decman (58), djhannu (52), Vaughn, irishhog (45), dangjalopy (41), earthoverdrive (36), edman87k5 (35), 79iron (32), mr_anti_chrome
Fix My Hog
RYCA Motors
Hammer Performance
Dead Creek Cycles

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th August 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
shaun2380 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default oil Weight

Need to top off oil due to rocker box leakage. Just bought bike and I am waiting for manual. Whats the weight of the oil I should use. 02 883 hugger. Thanks.
Old 17th August 2012
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N (Sold)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: Versys
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
motorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun2380 View Post
Need to top off oil due to rocker box leakage. Just bought bike and I am waiting for manual. Whats the weight of the oil I should use. 02 883 hugger. Thanks.
Most use 20w50 motorcycle oil. Don't top off the oil if you had rocker box leakage. Just check it on the dipstick while hot and on its side stand. I recommend about a third way up the stick. And definately don't go over half. JMO.
Old 17th August 2012
Biker

Thanks this fourm has been really helpful with these quick replies.
Old 17th August 2012
The crazy one...

Sportster/Buell Model: rigid 88" highly modified
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: iforgot
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 80's
Other Motorcycle Model: crs
Other Motorcycle Year: 80's
wilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun2380 View Post
Depends on the ambient temperatures you operate in. The FSM recommends 60 wt for temps over 80F. You should check the oil with the bike in an upright position, with engine warm, and level. The safe range is anywhere between the two marks. I'd recommend keeping it between lower mark to midpoint between the two. Anything from midpoint to above the upper mark usually blows out the crankcase breathers, and all over the side of the bike.

It is now "later" than it has ever been!
Old 17th August 2012
Known Troublemaker !

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
milmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant future

HD 20-50 And you really should fix that leak.....
How to Check the Diaphragm! : Diaphragm_Test
REPLACING INTAKE/CARB SEALS:Replacing Intake Seals
MAINTENANCE INFO 04-06 : HANDY REFFERENCE

My futile attempt at Blogging: http://toolstolivewith.blogspot.com/

:
Know Thy Hog

Old 18th August 2012
Biker

Got gaskets, thread lock, trying to find the right silicone could only find the rtv high heat silicone maker/copper. Is the copper stuff good enough. going to do it this weekend. Sucks having no manual. Ordered manual online be a couple weeks before it gets here. Bike was in storage for a long time before I bought it. Had a local shop go over the bike, fluids were changed and adjustments were made. I was aware of the rocker box leak before buying it. The bike is an 02 883 hugger with only 4000kms. Couldn't pass it up. thanks. This fourm is a life saver lol.
Old 18th August 2012
Riding with Angels

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
ridinfool is a glorious beacon of lightridinfool is a glorious beacon of lightridinfool is a glorious beacon of lightridinfool is a glorious beacon of lightridinfool is a glorious beacon of lightridinfool is a glorious beacon of lightridinfool is a glorious beacon of lightridinfool is a glorious beacon of lightridinfool is a glorious beacon of lightridinfool is a glorious beacon of lightridinfool is a glorious beacon of light

Get yourself some good Cometic gaskets and replace em....20w/50 is the choice..

If you feel right about something, than go for it...if you go for it, then you feel right
Eat...Poop...Play.....Sleep....Repeat....
Old 18th August 2012
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N (Sold)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: Versys
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
motorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud ofmotorend has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
You should check the oil with the bike in an upright position, with engine warm, and level.
I thought they were designed to be checked on their jiffy stand.
Old 6th September 2012
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
stocker883l has much to be proud ofstocker883l has much to be proud ofstocker883l has much to be proud ofstocker883l has much to be proud ofstocker883l has much to be proud ofstocker883l has much to be proud ofstocker883l has much to be proud ofstocker883l has much to be proud ofstocker883l has much to be proud ofstocker883l has much to be proud ofstocker883l has much to be proud of

Not his model...Think the FSM for his model year states "in the upright postition". Some rigid mount brother will let ya know. It all gets murky with these oil discussions. Like man, I don't know anyone running 60wt in their bikes. Hell I even used to run 20/50 in my old shovelhead.
Old 6th September 2012
The crazy one...

Sportster/Buell Model: rigid 88" highly modified
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: iforgot
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 80's
Other Motorcycle Model: crs
Other Motorcycle Year: 80's
wilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to behold

My '03 is designed to be checked in an up-right position on a level surface, with the engine at normal operating temp. My FSM recommends the use of 60 wt for temps over 80F. Many engine hours are clocked with air temps above 110F.

So pay attention to temperatures and adjust accordingly. Have you received your manual yet?
Know Thy Hog