The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Members Birthdays
jenks60 (59), Hammer of God (53), billas 100th (50), sam19 (49), ivory hunter (46), cumnz (45), TJ Willy (41), SINdicated (35), XRavenX (32)
Biltwell
S&S Cycle
S&S Cycle
Foxcreek Leather

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd October 2011
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: S&S XL124" streettracker
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Jörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenster View Post
I just installed one in my '06 1200 and have had no issues whatsoever. The bike fires right up. I beleive the battery is actually cranking it over faster than the stock battery.

By the way, S&S, you have the most HiPo Sporty I have seen in all my life. Very Nice Bike.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mardyk View Post
Yes, I bought the shorai charger as well. The battery is brand new and fully charged I think. At least that's what the charger indicates.
If the battery is fully charged, there must be something wrong, or a faulty battery. My shorai LFX18A1-BS12 battery spins my 10.7:1 CR 100" motor as fast as my previous YUASA 300 CCA battery. When I bought my shorai battery one year ago, this size (LFX18A1-BS12) was the Shorai recommendation for a OEM 1200 '86- sportster. Since I have a bigger engine, I didnt want to deviate from Shorais recommendations.

I would check everything (charging state, electrical connections etc) then contact Shorai.
Old 6th October 2013
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
brocluno is a glorious beacon of lightbrocluno is a glorious beacon of lightbrocluno is a glorious beacon of lightbrocluno is a glorious beacon of lightbrocluno is a glorious beacon of lightbrocluno is a glorious beacon of lightbrocluno is a glorious beacon of lightbrocluno is a glorious beacon of lightbrocluno is a glorious beacon of lightbrocluno is a glorious beacon of lightbrocluno is a glorious beacon of light
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mardyk View Post
That's cool. I just get a couple of clicks and then nothing...
It sort of started to turn over once but then it quit. After that I just got a quiet click and silence.
Annoying. The only batteries that have worked for me are the OEM ones. But they're $280 in this god-forsaken country.
It's a wiring issue. I'll bet the ground cable is not right where it connects to the frame/engine ...

When replacing a battery, I ALWAYS make it a habit to redo the ground side. Solder the terminals to the cable, make a second "new" ground path to an unused bolt somewhere, etc.

The same current that runs the "XYZ" has to return to the battery through the ground circuit. But there is no voltage to make that happen. It's been used by the device (starter in this case). So anything even slightly wrong on the ground side will make for a bad day
Old 7th October 2013
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
pomike is on a distinguished roadpomike is on a distinguished road
Default swingarm question

OK, here I go one more time. I am looking for a light aluminum swingarm to fit on my '94 Sportster. I want one that fits the stock measurements and brakes. Does anyone know for sure, of one that fits the bill, and can be aquired on this planet? Thanks a lot. Nice bike! Mike
Old 7th October 2013

Jörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud ofJörgen has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomike View Post
OK, here I go one more time. I am looking for a light aluminum swingarm to fit on my '94 Sportster. I want one that fits the stock measurements and brakes. Does anyone know for sure, of one that fits the bill, and can be aquired on this planet? Thanks a lot. Nice bike! Mike
Thanks
I bought my swingarm from Metmachex UK, it's bolt on.
http://www.metmachex.net/p0_0_0.htm

/Jörgen
Old 7th October 2013
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Thanks. What about the brake mount? Mike
Know Thy Hog

Old 7th October 2013

I dont know what you mean. I use a torque rod from the swing to the brake caliper.
Old 7th October 2013
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
uberkermit is an unknown quantity at this point

Sweet bike man. Did the aluminum swingarm give you any weight savings? Can you now mount a wider tire than with the stock swingarm? Nice way of getting Öhlins shocks on an older bike, in any case.
Old 7th October 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberkermit View Post
Sweet bike man. Did the aluminum swingarm give you any weight savings? Can you now mount a wider tire than with the stock swingarm? Nice way of getting Öhlins shocks on an older bike, in any case.
Thanks! For the moment she is getting a new 124" motor.
Yes, the Metmachex swing arm was considerably lighter than the stock swing arm.
It's the chain line that limits the rear tire, I run 140mm wide rear tire.
Also the sub frame rear tubes limits a wider tire. Maybe a 150 is possible, but I dont like using tires that are so wide that the bike gets hard to wrench with. It should be easy to pull off the wheels etc.
Old 7th October 2013
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

The stock rear brake slides over the swingarm to mount. Does the swingarm come with an adapter. I have PM brakes that use the stock mounting system. I don't really want to change this, but............. Mike
Old 7th October 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomike View Post
The stock rear brake slides over the swingarm to mount. Does the swingarm come with an adapter. I have PM brakes that use the stock mounting system. I don't really want to change this, but............. Mike
I would contact Metmachex and check with them.
Know Thy Hog