The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Photos/Videos
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Photos/Videos Post all the cool photos and videos of your Sportster here...

Members Birthdays
S&S Cycle
Dead Creek Cycles
Sky Smith Insurance
Motor Stage

Ironworks Magazine

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th November 2006
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Used to ride a XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi Breva V1100
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
Dubfire is on a distinguished roadDubfire is on a distinguished roadDubfire is on a distinguished road
Default That Was Then....This Is Now

Just a couple of before and after pics to show the modifications I have made to my Sportster since I bought it 2 years ago.

November 2004

November 2006

The bike had already had the Stage 1 tuning with the SE Baloney cut pipes fitted so the first thing I did was change the tyres, replacing the old, hard, cracked Dunlops with new Avon Venoms. The braided front brake line was next, followed by the Teardrop Air Cleaner.

Next came the LePera Maverick seat and removal of reflectors and lower belt guard. Longer rear shocks and progressive front springs were fitted and the bike was levelled by raising the forks through the clamps by 3/4".

A Wilwood front brake caliper and relocated front turn signals complete the changes to date. (I've also changed the horn, but you can't see that !)

XL1200C
Old 16th November 2006
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

How is the Wilwood caliper working for you, Mike?
Old 16th November 2006

Dubfire is on a distinguished roadDubfire is on a distinguished roadDubfire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleger
How is the Wilwood caliper working for you, Mike?

Thanks for asking Chris. It seems to be getting better every time I go out! I wanted to wait before commenting on it because after I first fitted it I found it to be not much better than the original caliper. But after leaving it overnight and bleeding the fluid again, braking improved, even though only a few tiny air bubbles came out. Now that the pads are bedded in, I feel that the caliper is now performing well and is definately a big improvement over the stock item. The speed-bleeder is a revelation! It really makes bleeding the brakes a doddle! Another happy Trak-Tek customer .
Old 16th November 2006

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Excelent. Glad to hear it.

If you're still getting air out of it, it still might not be bled fully. Getting the air to go all the way down the caliper, turn the corner and head back up to the bleeder can be a challenge.

Sometimes it helps to unbolt the caliper and hold it level while bleeding. Not sure if I mentioned that back when you bought it. But, if you're getting good results from it, you may have it fully bled already.

Thanks!
Old 16th November 2006
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLC
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: 2007 Dyna Street Bob
Gyahmers is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice job, I wish I could keep my bike that clean.

Although I don't have a Wilwood brake caliper, (Btw, I really like the look of it. Might change mine out one of these days.) I do use a four piston caliper and really like the braking, big improvement.
Know Thy Hog

Old 16th November 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyahmers
Nice job, I wish I could keep my bike that clean.

Although I don't have a Wilwood brake caliper, (Btw, I really like the look of it. Might change mine out one of these days.) I do use a four piston caliper and really like the braking, big improvement.
Thanks. You should have seen the bike before I washed it!

I'm sure you're right, i've heard that the 4 pot caliper on the 2000 on bikes is a big improvement over the single pot lump that was on mine.
Old 16th November 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

XLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the rough

Nice bike and nice work.
Old 16th November 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubfire
Thanks. You should have seen the bike before I washed it!

I'm sure you're right, i've heard that the 4 pot caliper on the 2000 on bikes is a big improvement over the single pot lump that was on mine.
Yes the 4 pot caliper is very good the only draw back is that the pads are thiner and wear out quicker. but the difference between the 2 is night and day. and thay are way better than the old drum brakes from back in the day.

I hope to upgrade to dual set up one of these days.

Dubfire your changes are very nice. good work.
Old 16th November 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loui Evo XLHS
I hope to upgrade to dual set up one of these days.

Dubfire your changes are very nice. good work.
Thank you.
I thought about a dual set up (together with changing to a 19" wheel, which I may still do) but for now the cost is prohibitive. Another caliper, a fork slider to mount it on, rotor, brake line, master cylinder, etc....it all adds up!

Sundance: thanks for the compliment.
Old 16th November 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster Girl has disabled reputation

Bike looks great Mike, I really like the S&S!
Know Thy Hog