The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Energy One Clutches
Bison Motorsports
Foxcreek Leather
Energy One Clutches

Fix My Hog

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th November 2007
Biker

jeffco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why badmouth the sportster?

I am fairly new here and do not have a ride at present ( former Honda rider ) but I really like the latest sportsters. My question is, why do so many riders I meet badmouth the sportster? They say I will grow out of it in a short period of time. Won't like it for long rides, especially if I have my gal on the back. My use of the bike would be for a 23 mile comute into work and some rides on the weekend. How do I defend the sportster?

Your thoughts guys and gals, I am in the Salt Lake City valley area and may wait to buy till next spring with winter coming on.
Old 6th November 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
LuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it's a "chick bike", "half a Harley", "starter model"....yada, yada,yada.

Twinkies are trucks, Sporty's are hot rods. Buy what makes you happy, personally, I'm happy with my Sporty!
Old 6th November 2007
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Last ironhead!
Sportster/Buell Year: 1985
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH Rigid 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1970
Other Motorcycle Model: Too many to list
onerigidrider is on a distinguished roadonerigidrider is on a distinguished roadonerigidrider is on a distinguished road

most of them are just jealous. I can't tell you the number of new BT's that start talking smack, then we line up and when I'm done smokin 'em they want to know what hopups I have done. I simply tell them thinner headgaskets for higher compression, 23t front 49t rear for sprockets, lowered 4" and that my sporty was designed as a "sport bike".
It usually makes even more mad to know my 4 speed smoked their 6 speed too.
After that they don't talk much crap! I kinda look forward to it now.
Old 6th November 2007
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
ZenBiker will become famous soon enoughZenBiker will become famous soon enoughZenBiker will become famous soon enoughZenBiker will become famous soon enoughZenBiker will become famous soon enoughZenBiker will become famous soon enough

Why defend it at all?

Getting defensive is exactly the reaction they want.

And if you have to defend it at all, don't do it with words. Do it with speed on a twisty road.
Old 6th November 2007
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 53.9 C.I. XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1987
Sportster/Buell Model #2: I Wish
BLKBRD is a name known to allBLKBRD is a name known to allBLKBRD is a name known to allBLKBRD is a name known to allBLKBRD is a name known to allBLKBRD is a name known to allBLKBRD is a name known to allBLKBRD is a name known to allBLKBRD is a name known to allBLKBRD is a name known to allBLKBRD is a name known to all

Here's some reading for your pleasure.

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=725

Old 6th November 2007
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200V
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C … long gone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDB … gone!
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffco View Post
I am fairly new here and do not have a ride at present ( former Honda rider ) but I really like the latest sportsters. My question is, why do so many riders I meet badmouth the sportster? They say I will grow out of it in a short period of time. Won't like it for long rides, especially if I have my gal on the back. My use of the bike would be for a 23 mile comute into work and some rides on the weekend. How do I defend the sportster?

Your thoughts guys and gals, I am in the Salt Lake City valley area and may wait to buy till next spring with winter coming on.
Don't bother defending it. Just ride it! Most riders don't badmouth others' bikes. Do you really care about the opinions of those that do?
'The green machine'
Old 6th November 2007
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N-Traded :(
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Fat Bob
Other Motorcycle Year: 09
el jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really niceel jinete fantasma is just really nice

The only people who are overly concerned about what other people ride are poseurs. Those dudes standing next to their Softails with fringe blowing in the breeze don't like it when someone chooses to ignore their perception of what is cool. They've never ridden a Sporty because they caved in to what others had told them was cool. They can't think for themselves and don't like it when they encounter someone who can.
Old 6th November 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
stockport claret is an unknown quantity at this point

Get the bike that you feel most comfortable on. That's the most important thing. Remember that girls ride BTs, sportsbikes, trikes, quads and drive cars, trucks, so they could all be classed as "girls stuff" as well.
Don't go off what others say, go off what you think and enjoy it coz you will know that you made the right choice for you.
Old 6th November 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 roadster
roadster RR is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludlow555 View Post
The only people who are overly concerned about what other people ride are poseurs. Those dudes standing next to their Softails with fringe blowing in the breeze don't like it when someone chooses to ignore their perception of what is cool. They've never ridden a Sporty because they caved in to what others had told them was cool. They can't think for themselves and don't like it when they encounter someone who can.
couldnt of said it better myself.
Old 6th November 2007
XLF LIFEMEMBER Im retired

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

I'm lucky enough to own an UltraClassic and a Sportster and I love them both. One of my biker friends could not understand why I bough another Sportster when "I already had a real Harley." I asked him why he bought his Camero when he already had a Suburban. He just gave me his dumb look.

Owning an Ultra and a Sporty is like owning a Caddy and a Vette. Neither one is better, they are different. When I'm heading out on the Interstate for a full day of cruising I take the Ultra with the XM Satalite Radio. When I want to raise hell it's Sporty Time.
Know Thy Hog