The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions Advice, questions, and tips for 1200, 1250, 1340, 1450 etc... for Sportster and Buell motorcycle engine conversions

Members Birthdays
DK Customs
NRHS Performance Long 2
Figure Machine
NRHS Performance Long 2

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th May 2009
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: buell
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
reo850 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sportster 883 To 1200 Conversion Using Screaming Eagle Parts

Atttenion moderators please sticky the post it will help alot of ppl. I just got done converting a late model 2004 883 to 1200 using all screaming eagle parts and a mikuni hsr 42mm carbs.
PARTS LIST.
Screaming eagle .050" decked high compression heads
Screaming eagel push rods.
Screaming eagle high lift cams
screaming eagle pistons
screaming eagle 1200 cylinders

Noted problems: with the heads milled .050" thinner at the head gasket. The intake manifold will not bolt back in place, only 3 out of the 4 bolts line up due to the change in the angle of the V between the heads. Solution use a flat surface plate and some sand paper and remove about .020" from each side of the intake manifold then it will bolt back in place, this can also be done on the fuel injected models as you will have the same trouble with decked heads.

Also when you try and bolt the exhaust pipes back in place the exhaust clamps hit the cylinder fins and there is no part you can buy from harley to fix it, even the older style clamps still hit the cyliners fins, solution is to grind about .060" -.070" from the bottom of the exhaust clamps to allow them to fit in place, with a belt sander.

Also fitting a mikuni carb to a late model sportster has some parts missing or wrong in the mikuni kit. On late model sportsters the air cleaner breather bolts that hold the whole assembly to the heads are only about 1.5 longer x 1/2" dia bolts. ( these are to short for the mikuni air cleaner plate). Solution is to get longer bolts used on a 95 -99 sportster, they are 2.5 " long and is what the kit was designed to use. Note the mounting bolts are completely hollow and are used to allow the heads to vent to the air cleaner assembly. DO NOT REPLACE WITH SOLID BOLTS YOU MAY DAMAGE YOUR ENGINE.

So far everything else went back together easily. I am very pissed that harley denies that they are any fitting problems and fails to give you any recommendations of parts to use. Even after calling their customers service and speaking the the customer service rep and a harley factory engineer thru a conference call, they deny that any problems exhist and that if anything the parts should fit better as the heads are thinner. What BS

I have yet to start up and test the bike as I am changing the controls to on the bike.

If I had to do the conversion again I would not use harley parts, maybe only harley cylinders and pistons. Its better to have your old stock parts modified, at least they will bolt back together easily again, heads etc.
Old 25th May 2009
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: CVO Dyna Low
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
Rehit is a name known to allRehit is a name known to allRehit is a name known to allRehit is a name known to allRehit is a name known to allRehit is a name known to allRehit is a name known to allRehit is a name known to allRehit is a name known to allRehit is a name known to allRehit is a name known to all

if you take .050 off any heads you will run into the same issue...
SCREAMING EAGLE RACE TUNER
SCREAMING EAGLE HEAVY BREATHER
Old 28th May 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
joesquid is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a similar problem with my air cleaner and breather bolts but opposite. I'm using a screaming eagle heavy air breather and it bolts right up to the CV carb and heads therefore the original breather bolts are 1.5" too long. If I cut them down, there's very little thread left. Does anyone know if there are shorter breather bolts available?
Old 28th May 2009
Red Beard Cycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

You can also add .040 head gaskets to help eliminate some of the issues. Also, some people prefer to grind away a little of the fin vs the clamp..

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch
Old 30th May 2009
Banned

the head gaskets are already .050" thick and you can't double them up. Also grinding the cylinder fins would be a hacks way of fitting it. Its better to modify a $9 part , then a $150 cylinder
Know Thy Hog

Old 30th May 2009
Red Beard Cycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by reo750 View Post
the head gaskets are already .050" thick and you can't double them up. Also grinding the cylinder fins would be a hacks way of fitting it. Its better to modify a $9 part , then a $150 cylinder
Depending on how you do it, not necessarily a hacks way.. if done properly and blended properly, you'd never known it was touched. I've seen it done properly on several bikes.. especially when installing newer heads/cylinders on frame mounts.
Old 30th May 2009
Assistant Administrator

Sportster/Buell Model: 1212 conversion/497 cams
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
xena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about the minor issues. This is exactly why
I went with NRHS - and more than happy with that choice.
I'm a first timer and didn't have any issues from start to finish.
Didn't use my stock cylinders but everything still went together
tight as a drum with no leaks and no problems. Best of luck
with your conversion from here on in.

XLF Rules/Guidelines

XLF Guidelines II
*¸.•´¸.•´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ (¸.•*´¯`*•--->Xena
1212 Conversion 10:1 CR
SE 497 Cams
Python 3 Slip ons
TC88A running Xena's Black Panther Map

My 1212 Conversion Thread
XL Forum Members Map

Old 30th May 2009
Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1212 XL Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH STROKER
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1959
Jimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to beholdJimbos883 is a splendid one to behold

All those problems are pretty related to those milled Screamin Eagle heads that Harley sells.

If you had done your homework before buying them you would of come across others that have had the same issues. Aaron from NRHS has posted about those issues in the past. You would also found out that for the money that you spent for those heads a set of stock 04 and later 1200 heads with a matching set of pistons would of performed as well or better and not given you the grief during the installation. And probably cost you less. Correct me if I'm wrong but the valves and ports in the milled heads are the same as the stock 1200 heads, the milling just bumps the compression ratio. You could easily get that increased compression for a nice set of forged domed pistons.
Old 30th May 2009
Banned

I thought I would try the screaming eagle parts thinking that harley would have researched and perfected the parts to work properly and document any modifications needed. Just as I have learned in the past harley is out to screw the customer and doesn't care about customer support or selling motorcycles with known defects. I have worked on all bikes american , british , jap and italian. So far harley is the worst.
Old 8th June 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
springs will become famous soon enoughsprings will become famous soon enoughsprings will become famous soon enoughsprings will become famous soon enoughsprings will become famous soon enoughsprings will become famous soon enough

price for 2005 heads & part number
Know Thy Hog